This Spinach Arugula Salad is the perfect side salad for busy weeknights. If you need an easy healthy salad recipe for your next meal, this recipe is the perfect addition to your table or meal prep!
Do you have a favorite salad? When we're throwing together a quick vegetable side for dinner or something to accompany a protein for a light lunch, we generally opt for this simple arugula salad with spinach. It's one of the most simple salads that we turn to time and time again.
We love the peppery arugula and delicious spinach. This meal pairs well with any protein, like chicken breast, a juicy steak, salmon, shrimp, and more. Add a homemade salad dressing, like this honey lemon vinaigrette, and you'll actually be enjoying this salad!
❤️Why we love this recipe
- Made with staple ingredients - Anything you don't already have on hand, you can find at any grocery store.
- A great base to add to - You can always add your favorite ingredients to this salad and dress it up even more, or swap in more seasonal produce. It's a great place to start!
- Naturally gluten free & low carb - Just plain, straightforward ingredients that naturally fit into lots of diets.
- Ready in 10 minutes or less - You can make this simple salad in less than 10 minutes!
You can find the full quantities and nutritional information in the recipe card.
Since there are so few ingredients, make sure to use good quality ones.
- Baby arugula & baby spinach leaves - We use about half and half of each.
- Cherry tomatoes - Juicy and bright. We love to cut ours in half or in quarters.
- Kosher salt & black pepper - A word of advice? Always season your greens a little bit. It will really enhance the flavor of your salad!
- Extra virgin olive oil - For dressing the salad.
- Lemon juice & zest - For a little zing of flavor.
- Parmesan cheese - Optional, and you can swap for any cheese you like better.
- Basil - Optional, feel free to use any herbs you like or leave them out.
In a large bowl or serving platter, add fresh spinach and arugula. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add lemon zest, and begin layering on the tomatoes and parmesan.
Pro tip: We like to build our salads in layers to ensure each bite is perfect, with a little bit of everything. 😉
Drizzle on a little olive oil.
Add basil, and lemon juice, then continue layering on the ingredients.
Add more dressing if you like! We used a little bit of our homemade honey lemon vinaigrette dressing.
Hint: If you're making this salad ahead of time, simply dress with lemon juice and olive oil right before serving, rather than in advance. This will help keep the salad from getting soggy.
✨Substitutions & variations
Truly there are a lot of variations you can make to this salad since it's pretty straight forward, but here are a few suggestions!
- Use red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice if that's all you have on hand, or that's what you prefer!
- Use different cheeses - If you have a meal that lends itself a little better to a different cheese, feel free to swap that for the parmesan. Some of our favorites are feta cheese, blue cheese, or creamy goat cheese!
- Add fruit - Love a little sweetness in your salads? Try using your favorite seasonal produce! Pomegranate arils or apple slices would be great in the cooler months, while peaches or fresh berries are lovely in the summer!
- Sprinkle on some nuts and seeds - You can always add good healthy fats and proteins by adding things like hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, pecans, pistachios, or almonds.
- Add onions - Onions are never a bad idea in our book! Try some thin slices of red onion, or even caramelized onions if you are feeling fancy!
- Swap out the veggies - Not big on tomatoes? No worries. Leave them out, or add in other things like bell peppers or cucumbers instead.
🍋Dressings for this salad
Now you don't actually need to prepare a dressing for this salad since we lightly dress it, but in case you wanted to take it to the next level, this salad is a great base for some of our dressings.
- Honey lemon vinaigrette- simple, lemony, lightly sweet, and versatile!
- What's not to love about pesto? Try this pesto vinaigrette to bring your salad to the next level.
- Need something for your holiday table? Try this cranberry salad dressing!
- Love a good ranch dressing? Try our Wingstop ranch copycat recipe! It's so good!
- This creamy balsamic dressing is also classic and very versatile.
🍴What to eat with this salad
We don't think you can go wrong, and the serving options are endless, but here's our top suggestions.
- Mozzarella stuffed chicken wrapped in parma ham
- Air fryer ribeye or bavette steak
- Shrimp or salmon
- Lemon herb chicken
- & more!
If possible, do not dress with olive oil or lemon juice ahead of time, but just before serving. It's also best to store the tomatoes separately from the greens.
These ingredients will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Arugula Spinach Salad
- 2.5 ounces arugula
- 2.5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (zest of 1 lemon)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 whole cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 ounce freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (juice of half a lemon)
- handful of fresh basil (optional)
- In a bowl or on a large platter, add spinach and arugula. Season with a bit of salt and pepper, then begin layering on tomatoes, lemon zest, parmesan, and basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Repeat layers, and dig in! You can also top with dressing if you like.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. For best results, don't dress with olive oil or lemon juice in advance. It's also best to leave the tomatoes off until right before serving.
- This salad is lightly dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper, but you can always omit the lemon juice and olive oil and use dressing instead, or do a mix of both.
- Parmesan is optional and can be replaced with any cheese you prefer.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.
🛒Shop this post
Want more supplies for this recipe or to shop our kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!