Short Ribs in the Air Fryer are an easy recipe for a quick dinner! Make tender ribs with minimal effort. No need to worry about braising short ribs every time you cook them anymore! If you're looking for beef short ribs quickly, your air fryer will give you the best results.
If you're looking for a short rib recipe that puts your air fryer to good use and lets it do the heavy lifting, this recipe is for you! We know you may be skeptical as you've most likely always enjoy beef ribs braised, but we promise these juicy ribs may be one of your new favorite ways to enjoy this cut of beef.
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Make sure to check out this air fryer ribeye, this bacon wrapped asparagus, or these air fryer smashed potatoes with garlic and herbs.
❤️Why you'll love this
- Simple ingredients: There are only 6 ingredients that you need for this recipe, if you include the salt and pepper. Anything you don't have can easily be found at regular grocery stores.
- Naturally low carb and gluten free: Simple ingredients with nothing funky added, so it's perfect for a variety of diets. These short ribs are 0 net carbs per serving!
- Quick & easy: Typically, short ribs are braised, but we promise, they are delicious and juicy in the air fryer as well. They're ready in 20 minutes or less from start to finish, you have a delicious meal.
Here are the ingredients you will need.
- Beef short ribs - We used English cut, bone-in beef short ribs because they are incredibly flavorful, tender, and juicy with lovely marbling.
- Kosher salt & black pepper - Season generously.
- Garlic powder & onion powder - Technically optional, but trust us, you're going to want these!
- Olive oil- To coat the short ribs while they cook and help the seasoning adhere.
- Parsley - Optional, to garnish!
You can find the full instructions, ingredient measurements, and nutrition information in the recipe card.
Check out the Google web story for these air fryer short ribs if you enjoy viewing the instructions in a different format.
- Allow short ribs to sit out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Dry short ribs off really well with paper towel.
- Preheat your air fryer to 390°F.
In a small bowl, make a simple dry rub with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Coat all sides of the ribs with the seasoning blend.
Now, cover the ribs with olive oil on all sides.
Place ribs in a single layer on air fryer trays or the bottom of the air fryer basket.
Cook until internal temperature reaches at least 165°F internally.
*Although other cuts of beef can be consumed rare at 120°F, you will want to cook these longer, or else they won't be tender enough. This should take roughly 15 minutes.
Allow the short ribs for 10 minutes before digging in to seal in all the juices. That's it! Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
Hint: The best way to know if they have reached the correct internal temperature is by using a meat thermometer like an instant read thermometer or an oven-safe thermometer to watch the temperature increase.
Here are a few flavor variations you can try!
- Add some sweetness - Mix in some brown sugar or brown sugar replacement to add a touch of sweetness to the dry rub.
- Add a little umami flavor - Coat the short ribs with soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos and reduce the salt added by half. Soy sauce adds complex savory flavors and will darken the color of the ribs.
- Spice them up - Add in a pinch of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or a little chili powder to the dry rub for a little heat.
- Herbaceous - Herbs and short ribs go hand in hand! Try adding some thyme or rosemary for a lovely earthy flavor.
💭Frequently asked questions
English cut are the ones you want to use for this recipe. These are the ones with the thick cut of meat stacked on top of the bone. These ribs are cut parallel to the bone, and there is one piece of bone per piece of meat.
Flanken style is cut across the bone. Each piece has three to four short sections of bone, with lots of meat around them. The meat is thin and cooks very quickly.
This article helps to learn more about the different styles of short ribs available.
☕️Tips and tricks
Why these air fryer beef ribs may not exactly be completely fall off the bone tender, they are incredibly juicy, like eating a yummy, well-seasoned steak. It's one of those easy meals you'll end up eating over and over again. Making these in the air fryer may change your mind about the cooking method. It's the easy way to cook short ribs and it tastes amazing! Here's our top tips.
- Use a meat thermometer - we love using a bluetooth thermometer so we can walk away from the air fryer and keep an eye on the internal temperature, so we take it out at exactly the right time for your preferred temperature.
🛒Shop this post
Want more supplies for this recipe or to shop our kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
🥣Storage & reheating
If you have any leftover ribs, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop, in the microwave, or in the air fryer.
🌟Leave a review!
Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! This helps other readers find our recipes via Google, and encourages them to try them. Also be sure to leave a comment with your experience!
Take a photo and share with us by tagging us on Instagram or follow along on Pinterest for more ideas!
Air Fryer Short Ribs
- 2.25 pounds bone-in beef short ribs (English cut)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Dry short ribs off really well with a paper towel. Preheat your air fryer to 390°F. In a small bowl, make a simple dry rub with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Coat all sides of the ribs with the seasoning blend. Now, cover the ribs with olive oil on all sides.
- Place ribs in a single layer on air fryer trays or the bottom of the air fryer basket. Cook until internal temperature reaches at least 165°F internally. *Although other cuts of beef can be consumed rare at 120°F, you will want to cook these longer, or else they won't be tender enough. This should take roughly 15 minutes.
- Allow short ribs to rest for 10 minutes before digging in to seal in the juices. That's it! Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently in the air fryer, on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Although beef can be consumed at an internal temperature of 120°F (rare) we recommend cooking this cut to 165°F - 200°F so it becomes more tender.
- Allow short ribs to sit out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.
Leave a Reply