This Cowboy Butter Sauce Recipe is like garlic butter, but even better! It's loaded up with fresh herbs, spices, shallots, lemon juice, and lemon zest, and it goes perfectly on nearly any protein you can think of. Try this tasty compound butter on these air fryer ribeye steaks, on chicken breasts, salmon, shrimp, and more!
Want to jazz up some steaks or chicken? This cowboy butter recipe is truly irresistible, and it's made with super simple ingredients. It's really easy to put together and is one of our favorite ways to enhance meals.
Keep this recipe in mind for your next steak dinner!
❤️Why you'll love this
- Simple ingredients: Just pull out a few spices from the cabinet, and grab a few other kitchen staples from the fridge or your local grocery store. This recipe is super simple.
- Quick & easy: This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make, and it's a very impactful buttery dipping sauce!
- No special equipment needed: All you need is a small bowl, a sharp knife, and a whisk.
- Packed with flavor: Tangy, zingy, herbaceous, lemony, with a kick of heat, and lots of buttery goodness. What could go wrong?!
Here are the ingredients we used. You can add less or more of the ingredients we used, or substitute for your favorite spices and herbs. You can find full quantities and nutritional information in the recipe card.
- Salted butter - Adds the best flavor to this recipe. You can use room temperature or softened butter, or you can melt it for a smoother consistency in the sauce.
- Lemon juice and lemon zest
- Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes & smoked paprika - For a little bit of heat and smokiness.
- Worcestershire sauce - Optional but highly recommended for depth of flavor.
- Fresh shallots & garlic - Finely minced.
- Fresh parsley, cilantro, green onions & thyme - We load this sauce up with fresh herbs. You can use some dried ingredients instead, and feel free to swap in your favorite herbs in place of the ones we used.
Melt butter and add to a mixing bowl. Combine butter with chopped parsley, thyme, green onions, and cilantro.
*You could also use softened room temperature butter for a thicker butter sauce.
Add in salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne, dijon, garlic, shallots, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and zest, then whisk together.
Your sauce is ready to enjoy! This sauce gets better over time, as the flavors meld together.
Place butter on top of meat, like the perfect steak. You can also serve with these air fryer fingerling potatoes or any vegetables. We will be sharing a bavette steak recipe this week that is perfect for this recipe. Stay tuned!
✨Substitutions & variations
We have a few suggestions for simple swaps.
- Chives - Use chives in place of green onions if you like.
- Dried seasonings - Although we love fresh cilantro, parsley, thyme, and green onions, feel free to use dried if you prefer.
- Add more seasonings - You can add a dash of your favorite hot sauce, or swap in your favorite
- Dairy free - You can use dairy free butter in place of regular butter for a dairy free option.
- Vegan - Use dairy free butter, and omit the Worcestershire sauce.
🛒Shop this post
Want more supplies for this recipe or to shop our kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week. This butter can also be frozen for up to 6 months.
🌟Leave a review!
Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! This helps other readers find our recipes via Google, and encourages them to try them. Also be sure to leave a comment with your experience!
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 whole lemon, juice and zest
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk. Adjust seasonings to taste. Store in the fridge in an airtight container until time to use. The flavors will develop over time.
- Serve with steak, chicken, shrimp, pork, or fish. Enjoy!
- This recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week. It can also be frozen for up to 6 months.
- Add seasonings, and herbs to taste. Anything is interchangeable in this sauce.
- Feel free to use softened butter instead of melted butter for a thicker butter sauce.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.
This recipe has been adapted from EatWell 101.