This Cajun Chicken Alfredo is a creamy and delicious dinner that comes together in 30 minutes in one cast iron skillet. It's a fan favorite! We serve our cajun chicken Alfredo sauce with spaghetti squash noodles to make it gluten free and keto friendly. You just need a few simple ingredients you have in your fridge and pantry!
We're all about comfort food around here. It's super simple to make with kitchen staples! This cajun chicken alfredo is a keto friendly "pasta" recipe. It's one of those meals that we make over and over again.
We're so glad so many people have had the chance to enjoy it, and make it time and time again. We used chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could most definitely use chicken thighs if you prefer. The key is rubbing the chicken with our super delicious cajun spice blend. We will share how to make the cajun seasoning blend further down in this post.
This recipe is one of the most popular recipes on our site and Pinterest. If you're looking for an easy to make, customizable dinner, make up a batch of this cajun chicken alfredo pasta. You can prepare separate noodles and/or noodle replacements on the side!
You can make spaghetti squash or shirataki noodles for those that follow a low carb diet. For your carb eating friends and family, make regular noodles!. Either way, you're going to have something that everyone will enjoy.
You can skip to the keto chicken alfredo recipe card if you want to get straight to it. Please note that we've also answered many questions about substitutions in the body of the post. If you have questions, be sure to read through as I'm sure we have answered them! Please feel free to let us know your thoughts in the comments!
The Main Components:
- Homemade cajun seasoning blend- You can definitely use store bought cajun seasoning if you prefer. However, our homemade seasoning blend just makes everything taste so good. Making your own cajun seasoning allows you to control the spice level, salt level and it's cost effective too! Keep reading for our super easy homemade cajun seasoning blend.
- Unsalted butter- We love using unsalted butter because it's much easier to control the salt level in this dish. Parmesan cheese is another one of those naturally salty ingredients. We opt for unsalted butter to help us control what's going in this dish! You could use olive oil to brown the chicken if you prefer.
- Chicken breasts or thighs- As we mentioned above, we usually use chicken breasts, but chicken thighs would be wonderful as well. Leftover rotisserie chicken would work as well. If using leftover chicken, heat it up in you skillet with a little butter and lots of your cajun seasoning blend. This will add in a lot of flavor.
- Fresh garlic- Since there are so few ingredients in this dish, we highly recommend using freshly minced garlic. You could use jarred minced garlic or garlic powder if you want. We think the fresh garlic is truly what you want for this.
- Chicken broth - This thins out our sauce and adds a lot of flavor. You can use whatever broth you have on hand. We like to use this Pacific Foods Chicken Bone Broth to put even more flavor, protein and nutrients into this dish. Feel free to use chicken bouillon with a little water if that's all you have on hand.
- Heavy whipping cream- This is what makes our keto cajun chicken alfredo sauce rich and creamy! We suppose you could use half and half instead, but trust us, you want the heavy whipping cream. The flavor is unmatched, and truthfully that's what makes this an alfredo sauce. We think it's a pretty essential ingredient.
- Parmesan cheese - Okay again, there aren't many ingredients in this dish, so use the good stuff if you can get it. Pre-shredded parmesan cheese can be convenient but it doesn't melt very well. So, if you can, get a block of parmesan and grate it up. Grating your own parmesan is going to be really helpful to get that velvety, luscious and creamy smooth sauce.
- Noodles of choice - We actually opt for a keto friendly noodle replacement. Some of our favorites are spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or any low carb noodle replacement. We love our Healthy Noodles from Costco or Great Low Carb Noodles (so good!) If you aren't concerned with carbs, just use your favorite pasta.
- Fresh parsley- Optional, but a little parsley adds some color to this quite orange-ish yellow dish. Plus, it adds some freshness and lightness to this pretty heavy dish. If you don't have fresh, you could always use dried as well. If you don't like parsley, well, free to skip it!
- Feel free to add any veggies you want! We have found that broccoli, bell peppers and spinach make excellent additions if you want to add in some optional veggies.
How to Make Cajun Chicken Alfredo!
To start, season your chicken breasts liberally with your cajun seasoning blend.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, and melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Sear your chicken over medium high heat, until it's cooked thru and reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Once cooked thru, remove from the skillet and set aside. Don't drain or remove any of the drippings.
Reduce the heat to medium, and add 2 more tablespoons of butter (or the rest) of it to your cast iron. Add in your minced garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Continue to cook the garlic, being careful not to let it burn. Add in your chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and some parsley.
Stir in parmesan cheese slowly. Sprinkle in more cajun seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until your cheese has melted and it forms a sauce. Add in your noodles of choice to warm them up.
Cut your chicken into pieces, and add to the skillet. Garnish with more parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve this delicious Cajun Chicken Alfredo with you noodles or noodle replacement of choice, and enjoy!
How Do I Make Cajun Chicken Alfredo From Scratch?
- Prepare your noodles of choice, set aside.
- Season your chicken very well, and cook on the stovetop until cooked through. Allow to rest for a few minutes, then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Return to your skillet, add butter, then cook garlic until fragrant.
- Add heavy whipping cream and chicken broth. Simmer until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and cajun seasoning and cook until melted, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, add your favorite pasta.
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese and parsley!
Here's Some More Recipes You Will Love!
- Cajun Shrimp, Sausage and Peppers
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Butternut Squash Skillet
- Low Carb Jambalaya
- Spicy Shrimp Bisque
Shop This Recipe:
Need supplies for this recipe? We've linked our favorites above and right here in our Amazon Store! You don't pay anything extra if you shop using our link, but we get a small percentage of the sale. A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
What Noodles or Noodle Replacement Should I Serve This With?
Totally up to you, but we love using baked spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or some Healthy Noodles from Costco.
We also just recently tried some elbow macaroni noodles from Great Low Carb and fell in love. By the way, this is a totally unsponsored opinion. We bought it with our own money and it's not cheap, but WORTH IT! Here's a variety pack on Amazon. It includes some fettuccine, penne, elbow, and rotini noodles which would all work very well for this.
If you aren't counting carbs, don't worry, just use whatever you want and report back with how you enjoy this blackened Chicken Alfredo recipe! 🙂
**Please note, that for this recipe, we didn't include any noodle or noodle replacements in the nutrition facts. This is because there are so many different options to choose from. We used spaghetti squash for our noodle base, but you could use whatever you'd like. As always, we list out the full nutrition facts in our recipe card below.
Can I Cook This In A Cast Iron Skillet?
Yes, absolutely! We absolutely love our Lodge Cast Iron cookware and we use it for everything. This easy cajun chicken alfredo recipe is no exception. Most of our recipes are one skillet dishes. We absolutely love cooking with cast iron. It's so versatile, and it means less dishes!
It's important to take great care of your cookware. We promise that it's super easy to do so. Looking for ways to better care for your Lodge Cast Iron cookware? Check out this thorough guide with a tutorial video here.
What's The Best Cajun Seasoning and How Do I Make My Own?
The spice mix we use for this recipe is our go-to. You could certainly use any cajun spice blend you like. We premix a batch ahead of time, then it's always ready to go in our pantry. Just be aware that some store bought blends may have a much higher sodium content, so this can affect the flavor.
We'd like to mention that this seasoning blend is quite spicy, as we prefer most of our food to be. Keep this in mind when making your blend. It's meant to make a LARGE batch. DO NOT use it all for this one recipe!
One of our followers over on Instagram told us they accidentally did that, and we felt so bad. For this recipe will use about 1 - 1.5 tablespoons of this seasoning blend.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Blend:
- The following seasonings we will use 2 tablespoons of each: Kosher salt, oregano, smoked paprika (you could use regular paprika, but we prefer smoked paprika), onion powder and garlic powder.
- We will use 1 tablespoon each of the following seasonings: thyme, cayenne pepper, and black ground pepper.
- Finally, crushed red pepper is optional, but we use ½ tablespoon of it. It's not a traditional ingredient for cajun seasoning, but we love it. You can omit if you want!
What Chicken Should I Use?
You can use whatever your favorite cut of chicken is for this Cajun Chicken Alfredo. We do often use chicken breasts, but chicken thighs are also amazing. Truthfully, we use what we have on hand! If you want to shred up some rotisserie chicken for this that would be really delicious.
If you want you could sear the rotisserie chicken in a skillet. Just use a little bit of butter and a good amount of cajun seasoning to give it some good flavor. Let us know what you end up using in the comments!
If you get a chance to try this keto chicken alfredo recipe, let us know what you think, would ya?! Leave us a comment, or catch up with us on Facebook or Instagram, or pin to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
If you could please leave a comment and/or a rating if you loved this recipe, we would be forever grateful! (Ratings helps users find our recipes, since users say that they like them!)
Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to subscribe to our email newsletter so you’re the first to know about new recipes we post on our blog.
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Cajun Chicken Alfredo (Gluten Free and Keto)
For the sauce:
- 1.5 tablespoons cajun seasoning, divided (or to taste, can use store bought or homemade)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 whole chicken breasts (about 1.25 pounds)
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- handful of fresh minced parsley, divided (save some for garnish)
- 6 ounces parmesan cheese, divided (save some for garnish)
- noodles or noodle replacement of choice to serve (we used spaghetti squash)
- To start, season your chicken breasts liberally with your cajun seasoning blend. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat, and melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Sear your chicken over medium high heat, until it’s cooked thru and reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Once cooked thru, remove from the skillet and set aside. Don’t drain or remove any of the drippings.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add 2 more tablespoons of butter to your cast iron. Add in your minced garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Being careful not to let your garlic burn, add in your chicken broth and your heavy whipping cream.
- Stir in your parsley, and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle in more cajun seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until your cheese has melted and it forms a sauce. Add in your noodles of choice to warm them up.
- Cut your chicken into pieces, and add to the skillet. Garnish with more parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Serve this delicious Cajun Chicken Alfredo with you noodles or noodle replacement of choice, and enjoy!
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.