This Low Carb Italian Sausage Soup is so easy to make and super comforting. A hearty and delicious way to enjoy lunch or dinner with your family or friends. A gluten free, low carb, and keto friendly meal that takes less than an hour to make with some of your favorite pantry stables. The flavor develops over night, so if you have leftovers, they will be even better the next day!
Here’s What You Need For Low Carb Italian Sausage Soup:
- Olive oil
- Italian sausage links, casings removed
- Green bell pepper
- Dried minced onion
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Fresh basil, or dried basil
- Heavy whipping cream or half and half
- Water, optional to thin the broth if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste, will vary depending on the broth you use, etc.
The water in this is optional, and is truly a preference thing. We tend to like our soups a little on the thin or brothy side sometimes, so when you’re adding in the chicken broth, you can decide if you want to thin the broth at all with some water. If you like your soup chunky more like a chili, that’s totally cool too, just leave the water out. You may just want to lay off on some of the salt if you decide not to add any water. That’s another reason we add water sometimes, to sort of tone down flavors and salt. Another good reason to add some more liquid is you can kind of stretch a batch that way and make more servings! Basically, there’s tons of reasons we add water to things, we’re sure you guys have your own reasons too. 🙂
Heavy Cream: The other thing we added in was heavy cream. You might notice that we do this a lot, and the truth is, we do. Now that we eat a keto diet, we tend to do this all the time. It’s an easy and delicious way to add fats to a meal. Maybe we rely too heavily on dairy, but it just makes everything taste yummier. If you’re dairy free or just don’t want it, you could easily leave it out. Just make sure to adjust the macros!
We always want to encourage you guys to taste things as you go so that you can make things how YOU like them! We think cooking doesn’t need to be hard, and that sometimes you have to improvise or change up a recipe according to your preferences, tastes, what you have on hand, etc.
Now, let’s get onto the recipe, shall we? Happy Cooking!!
Show Us Yours!: We also love when you guys try our recipes and share them with us! If you make this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram @afullliving so we can see it and share it!
- Sharp Chef’s Knife & Cutting Board
- Lodge 5 Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden Spoon
More Recipes To Try:
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Loaded Keto ‘Potato’ Soup with Smoked Sausage and Bacon
- Easy Keto Fried Cabbage and Sausage Skillet Recipe
Let’s Make It!
Start by dicing up your green bell pepper. Set it aside. Squeeze the Italian sausage from the casings and set aside. While you’re doing this, heat your dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat on the stove. Add in your olive oil, then add in the sausage and brown.
Once the sausage is browned, add in your dried minced onion, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. We love to toast our seasonings before the liquid is added because we think it gives soups more depth of flavor. Sprinkle the meat with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add in your green bell peppers.
Cook until the green peppers are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add in the diced tomatoes, the chicken broth, and the basil (if you’re using frozen like we are). If you’re going to add in some water, now would be the time to do it. Bring the soup to a boil on the stove, then immediately cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes. After the soup has been simmering for a while on the stove, remove the lid and stir in the cream if you’re adding it. Just don’t bring the soup back to a boil, you don’t want the cream to curdle.
Now, you’ll just want to give it a taste and adjust the seasonings if need be. Top it with mozzarella cheese if you want! Serve and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, please consider sharing it with a friend and also leaving a rating and comment so others can find this recipe. Thank you for your support!
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Low Carb Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 whole italian sausage links, casings removed (435 grams)
- 1/2 whole green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp tsp dried minced onion
- 1.5 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (you can use fresh or dried basil)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (you could use half and half instead)
- 1 cup water optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat on the stove. Add in your olive oil, then add in the sausage and brown.
- Once the sausage is browned, add in your dried minced onion, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the meat with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add in your green bell peppers and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the diced tomatoes, the chicken broth, and the basil. Bring the soup to a boil on the stove, then immediately cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- After the soup has been simmering for a while on the stove, remove the lid and stir in the cream. Enjoy!
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.