Need a tasty recipe for a coffee drink? You'll absolutely love this cafe miel! This delicious drink is a game changer, made with espresso, steamed milk, honey, vanilla extract, nutmeg and plenty of cinnamon.
We're big into our caffeine over here, and with a recently acquired espresso machine on our hands, we immediately knew we had to make a café miel. This fabulous coffee drink is a great way to start your day, or the ideal pick-me-up whenever you're feeling it.
❤️Why you'll love this
- Simple ingredients: A hot miel only requires 4 staple ingredients, and we added in a few optional extras to take it to the next level. Plus? We're almost certain you have all the ingredients on hand right now. No fancy syrups or anything to prepare!
- Refined sugar free & gluten free: It's sweetened with honey for a delicious flavor, making it free of any refined sugar. If you're looking to lower the sugar count even more, we've included a few suggestions for substitutions. This drink is naturally gluten free as well.
- Quick & easy: If you're in the mood for something you can make in under 5 minutes, you're in the right place.
- No special equipment needed: We did mention our espresso machine earlier, but the fact is you don't need one, or really any fancy barista equipment to make this yourself at home.
- Packed with flavor: The flavor of this drink is so unique and totally captivating, yet so simple.
Here's the ingredients you will need, plus a few extras.
Here is a list of ingredients, you can see the recipe card for quantities.
- Honey - Adds all the flavor, plus there may be more health benefits to using honey over sugar. Use anything you like here. We found this yummy honey that is produced right here in US. Local, raw and unfiltered honey is always a great option.
- Bold coffee - Espresso, or strong brewed coffee are what you should use here. Typical drip coffee can work if you brew it extra strong.
- Milk - Whole milk is definitely our top choice for a creamy, delicious drink.
- Ground cinnamon- Essential to this drink! We dust a large sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the drink at the end.
- Nutmeg - Optional, but just a pinch of it will bring your drink to the next level.
- Vanilla extract - Also technically optional, but highly recommended!
This Google web story is a different way to view the hot miel instructions.
Add honey and vanilla extract (if using) to the bottom of a glass.
Pour in the hot espresso, then stir.
Next, add the steamed milk.
Dust with cinnamon and nutmeg.
That's it! Enjoy your delicious breakfast coffee or an afternoon relaxing retreat.
Hint: Need more sweetness? Add a little more honey on top for good measure! 😉
If you follow a different diet type, don't worry! We have a few suggestions.
- Keto or low carb - Swap the whole milk for your favorite low carb milk substitute (nut milk, heavy cream or half and half). You can also reduce the amount of honey to lower the carbs, or try a keto friendly (and sugar free) honey substitute like this one made with allulose* or this one which contains xylitol**.
- Dairy free - Instead of whole milk, try using your favorite nut milk.
- Vegan - Swap the honey for agave nectar or maple syrup, and use your favorite plant based milk.
*Allulose has been known to cause some GI distress in some people if consumed in large quantities. We recommend starting out by not consuming more than 1 serving at one time before making another drink!
**Xylitol is NOT dog friendly, and is extremely toxic to dogs. Please keep it away from pets, as a small amount can be fatal. Read more here.
Here's a few ways to alter the drink.
- Spicy - Want to spice it up? People normally use hot honey on their fried chicken, but try some in place of regular honey for a blast of chili pepper. Yum!
- Dessert style - Sweet tooth? Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream to make an affogato style treat.
- Decaffeinated - Craving this before bed or just don't want ? You can definitely make this with decaf coffee if you prefer.
- Less or more sweet - You can always add as much or as little honey as you want to suit your personal preference!
- Add in flavors - You can always add in simple syrups to add more flavor to this drink. One of our top suggestions is our sugar free lavender simple syrup. See this lower sugar honey lavender latte for more inspiration!
- Try it iced - You could easily prepare the espresso, honey and vanilla mixture ahead of time, and allow it to cool. Add ice and proceed as usual with the drink. This would be perfect for a warm day!
Luckily, this recipe is pretty standard and you actually don't need any special equipment to make it! Here's some different tools you can use.
- Espresso machine - Okay, so this is 100% our preferred method, so you can get the best shots of delicious espresso, and perfectly steamed milk. We just recently took the leap however, so don't worry if you don't have one. Many people use a Nespresso machine & love them, but we don't have one ourselves.
- Hand frother - You can definitely use this handy tool with warmed milk to create a nice foamy milk for your coffee. Just warm milk in a small saucepan on the stove, then froth it with your handheld frother. These tools are affordable and work great!
- Pour over or french press - Are both perfectly good options for making high quality, delicious coffee drinks at home. For either of these methods, you will want to use about 4 ounces of strong brewed coffee to substitute for 2 ounces of espresso.
- Beverage thermometer- can be helpful to make sure your milk is 165°F, the perfect temperature for steaming, but again, this is optional.
- You can also use a mason jar with a lid to make steamed milk if you don't have a handheld frother. Simply heat milk over low heat in a small saucepan on the stove, place it in the jar, and then use an oven mitt to shake the jar until nice and creamy. If the milk isn't hot enough to your liking after shaking, remove the lid and microwave the jar until foam rises to the top.
Shop this post:
Want more supplies for this recipe or to shop our kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
We don't recommend fully preparing this drink ahead of time, but you can mix together the honey, vanilla and espresso and store in the fridge until you'd like to combine everything.
🌟Leave a review!
Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! This helps other readers find our recipes via Google, and encourages them to try them. Also be sure to leave a comment with your experience!
- 1 tablespoon honey (21 grams)
- 2 ounces espresso (can be substituted for strong brewed coffee)
- 6 ounces whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- heavy sprinkle of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- In the bottom of a glass, add vanilla extract and honey. Pour in espresso, stir to mix.
- Pour in steamed milk, then top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. Enjoy!
- Best enjoyed immediately.
- You can use 4 ounces of strong brewed coffee in place of 2 ounces of espresso.
- Nutmeg and vanilla are optional.
- Any milk can be used in place of whole milk.
- Honey substitutes can be used in place of honey to suit different dietary types.
- An espresso machine isn't necessary, and we have included various preparation methods in the body of the post.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.