You'll love this humble, yet incredibly delicious, Cabbage and Carrot Salad! This vibrant, refreshing, salad comes together quickly with the crunch of red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, and fresh dill. Serve it with your favorite dressing, this easy-to-make salad is perfect for any occasion!
Note: This recipe was originally published in January 2017, but has been improved and re-photographed. We hope you enjoy the new look!
Looking to mix up your healthy eating routine? You'll love this carrot and cabbage salad! It's the perfect side dish with a fresh flavor, a lovely burst of color, and a yummy crunchy texture. It's an easy way to get more tasty veggies into your diet!
If you're looking for more yummy salad recipes, be sure to try out this apple and cucumber salad, this strawberry goat cheese salad, or this arugula spinach salad. Love cabbage? You might like this keto coleslaw, which is a sugar free version of traditional coleslaw!
❤️Why we love this recipe
- Simple recipe. This recipe is easy to prepare with just a few main ingredients and pantry staples.
- Quick and easy. We love a recipe that's ready in under 30 minutes, and this one fits the bill!
- Vibrant colors. This visually appealing salad makes you want to eat it!
- Light and refreshing. A crunchy salad is a great side. Bring this to a gathering the next time you need something unique and delicious.
- Naturally gluten free, and vegan. This recipe is naturally gluten free, and vegan friendly, as long as you pair it with a vegan-friendly dressing.
Here are the ingredients we used for this recipe. You can find more information for substitutions below.
- Green cabbage
- Purple cabbage
- Fresh dill
- Fresh chives
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
Visit the recipe card for the full quantities and nutritional information.
✨Substitutions & variations
Here are a few suggestions on additional flavors to try, or simple variations to this recipe.
- Even simpler version. If you don't want to take the time to thinly slice the cabbage or julienne the carrots, you can buy a coleslaw mix from the store!
- Swap the green cabbage. Swap with Napa cabbage or Savoy cabbage for a different texture and flavor.
- No purple cabbage. You can use all green cabbage if you prefer.
- Add more veggies. For more veggies, add julienned or spiralized zucchini, bell pepper, beets, or cucumbers in this salad, or even more greens like kale, spinach, shredded Brussels sprouts, or even succulent romaine hearts.
- Swap the black pepper. Try white pepper for a different flavor profile.
- Spicy. For a little kick, you can add a little chili powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or chile peppers.
- Use your favorite dressing. We opted for our delicious and light honey lemon vinaigrette dressing for this recipe, but you can use your dressing of course. We love serving this with our creamy balsamic dressing as well.
- Use your favorite fresh herbs. We like using dill and chives, but fresh basil or thinly sliced fresh mint, parsley, cilantro, or green onions. You may also try adding some fresh thyme or rosemary.
- Add fruit. Dried cranberries, cherries or crispy apples would make a perfect addition to this salad.
- Add aromatics. Adding a touch of garlic (about 1-2 garlic cloves), or some very thinly sliced red onion would add a pungent taste to the salad.
- Add nuts or seeds. For more crunch, fat, and protein, you can add nuts and seeds like crunchy sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp hearts, or almonds.
- Add a tangy flavor. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice, or even a little red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or rice wine vinegar for some acidity.
- Make it cheesy. Parmesan, feta, or goat cheese make excellent choices to add to this salad.
- Add protein. Add chicken, shrimp, steak, fish or really any protein you enjoy!
- If making this honey lemon vinaigrette dressing from scratch, do this first so it has time to chill in the fridge. You can make this dressing up to 7 days in advance.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the cabbage into thin strips. We like to use a julienne peeler (affiliate link) to make getting nice thin cuts of carrots super easy.
- Mince fresh herbs.
- Measure out the salt and pepper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, and herbs. (Image 1)
Season generously with salt and pepper. (Image 2)
Drizzle on some dressing, if using. (Image 3)
✨Pro Tip: If making this recipe in advance, don't add the dressing. Add it just before serving so it doesn't become soggy.
Toss well to combine. (Image 4)
Garnish with more herbs, salt, pepper, and dressing if desired. Enjoy!
✨Tips & tricks
- Freshness. Use fresh, crisp vegetables for the best texture and flavor. Look for firm cabbage heads and vibrant, unblemished carrots.
- Use thin slices. Shred or thinly slice the cabbage and julienne or grate the carrots to ensure a uniform texture and even distribution of flavors.
- Seasoning. Taste the salad as you go, adjusting the seasoning as needed.
- Toss well. Toss the salad gently but thoroughly, making sure the dressing evenly coats the vegetables.
- Rest for a few moments before serving. Allow the salad to rest for 10-15 minutes after adding the dressing for the flavors to meld, but not too long to prevent the vegetables from becoming soggy.
- If making in advance, don't add the dressing. As we mentioned above, you don't want the salad to become soggy, so don't let the dressing sit for too long on the veggies.
Need supplies? Shop our Amazon store! Stock your pantry, and find all of our favorite kitchen tools! A Full Living LLC earns a small commission through purchases on our storefront to help support this site.
💭Frequently Asked Questions
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Do not freeze.
Yes! There is always the option to dress this salad really simply with a little bit of olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, and some salt and pepper. Simply drizzle ingredients over top, toss, and taste.
What To Serve This Salad With
Not sure what this salad will accompany well? Here are a few suggestions!
- Air fryer steak tips or this air fryer ribeye
- Lemon herb chicken
- Melt in your mouth roast beef
- Pesto butter salmon
- Chilean sea bass
- Baked cod in tomato sauce
More Recipes To Consider
Did you try this recipe? Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! 🌟 This helps other readers find our recipes and encourages them to try them. Also, be sure to leave a comment with your experience. Follow along, and tag @AFullLiving on Instagram with your photos!
Cabbage and Carrot Salad Recipe
- ½ medium green cabbage head, shredded (about half of a medium green cabbage head)
- ½ medium purple cabbage head, shredded (optional, for color, could use all green cabbage)
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced (or any herb of choice)
- 1 cup fresh dill, minced (or any herb of choice)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- Salad dressing of choice, we used this honey lemon vinaigrette (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, and herbs.
- Season with salt, pepper, and some of the dressing. Toss well to combine.
- Garnish with more herbs, salt, pepper, and dressing if desired. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Do not freeze.
- The nutrition facts do not include salad dressing. We suggest using this Honey Lemon Vinaigrette, or really any dressing you'd like!
- Feel free to add herbs, protein, cheese, and spices as you see fit.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If making in advance, don't add any dressing until right before serving.
- If you have time, let the salad sit for 10-15 minutes after adding the dressing before serving.