Have yet to try the viral TikTok recipe Custard Yogurt Toast? This new food trend is an easy breakfast recipe that deserves the hype! This breakfast dish can be made with your favorite toppings, like fresh fruits, chocolate chips, and more. A tasty twist on typical toast!
We don't make a ton of TikTok's viral recipes, but when we do, you know it's because they look SO good! This custard toast recipe is one of those great options for breakfast or a tasty snack.
Made with just a few staples, it's easy to customize to suit different diet types, so make some for the whole family, and everyone gets what they want!
If you're looking for more viral recipes we can personally vouch for, try this keto whipped dalgona coffee!
❤️Why you'll love this
- Simple ingredients: This recipe is made with pantry staples, and anything you don't have on hand can be found at any grocery store. Make a quick custard with egg, sweetener of choice, a pinch of salt, your favorite kind of bread, and plain greek yogurt are the base of the custard. There are plenty of additions you can add to enhance the flavor, but those are the basics.
- Suitable for different diet types: We make a lower carb/reduced sugar version of this toast. This recipe can also be made dairy free, and gluten free.
- Quick & easy: Ready in minutes. We all love something quick, easy, and satisfying.
- Healthier breakfast option: If you have a sweet tooth, and you're looking for something that's a little healthier and tasty, this sweet breakfast toast is for you!
Here are the ingredients you will need, plus a few of our favorite toppings and extras.
You can find full quantities and nutritional information in the recipe card.
- Yogurt of choice - Any flavored or plain yogurt that you prefer works for this. If you're using a sweetened yogurt, you may need to adjust the amount of maple syrup added.
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract - Also technically optional, but highly recommended.
- Maple syrup or substitute - To sweeten the custard base, to taste. We use a sugar free maple syrup (affiliate link).
- Kosher salt - To balance the sweetness.
- Fruit of choice - You can use whole or sliced fruit. We opted for strawberries and raspberries.
- Chocolate chips - Optional, but highly recommended. We use these sugar free chocolate chips.
- Slices of bread - You can use any bread you want. We do recommend using thick bread so that the custard mixture doesn't seep through the bottom of the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash, and cut berries if necessary.
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, egg, vanilla extract, maple syrup (or substitute), and kosher salt.
Whisk very well until the custard mixture is nice and smooth.
Add the bread slices to the baking sheet and create a well in the center of the bread for the yogurt custard using the back of a spoon.
Divide the custard yogurt mixture filling evenly and fill the center of the bread.
Add your favorite toppings, then bake.
Pro tip: Take care not to press too hard to make the well in the bread, or the custard may seep out. As you can see we had that happen with one slice. Everything still turned out perfectly fine, it's just not as aesthetically pleasing!
Bake until the custard sets and is no longer jiggly. This will take about 10-15 minutes. Before serving, we recommend drizzling with some more maple syrup to taste.
That's it! Serve and enjoy!
If you follow a different diet type, don't worry! We have a few suggestions.
- Gluten-free - Use your favorite gluten-free bread, and just make sure the yogurt you choose is
- Dairy-free - Believe it or not, this recipe can easily be made dairy-free just by swapping the yogurt for a dairy-free yogurt.
- Vegan - While we have not tried making a vegan version, we imagine it is possible by using your favorite egg substitute & a dairy-free yogurt.
- Traditional - If you're not counting carbs or sugar like us, feel free to use whatever bread, chocolate chips, yogurt, and traditional maple syrup.
Here are a few ways to make this toast.
- Chocolate toast - Add some cocoa powder to the yogurt mixture for a chocolatey delight!
- Peanut butter toast - Stir in some creamy peanut butter for some delicious peanut flavor.
- Citrusy twist - Try a little bit of fresh-squeezed lemon juice and a little lemon zest, or orange zest and juice for a dose of bright citrus.
- Spiced - We love some aromatic cinnamon in this toast, and it's kind of reminiscent of traditional french toast. You can also try some nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, or anything else you'd like.
- Brown sugar flavored - You can use brown sugar or a brown sugar substitute for an extra caramel or molasses-like flavor!
🥞More recipes to try
Here are a few of our favorite breakfast recipes!
- Fluffy Keto Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Keto French Toast Pigs in a Blanket
- Billionaire Bacon Recipe (Candied Bacon)
🛒Shop this post
Want more supplies for this recipe or to shop our kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
We recommend eating this right away for the tastiest results. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat gently in the oven or air fryer.
🌟Leave a review!
Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! This helps other readers find our recipes via Google, and encourages them to try them. Also be sure to leave a comment with your experience!
Custard Toast (TikTok Yogurt Bread)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup (could substitute for traditional maple syrup or any other sweetener of choice).
- 113 grams greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices bread of choice
- pinch of salt
- berries & chocolate chips to top
- sugar free maple syrup to garnish (to taste!)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together maple syrup, egg, yogurt, kosher salt, and vanilla extract to make the yogurt custard.
- Using the back of a spoon, press down into the center of the slices of bread to make a well shape. Pour the custard mixture into the wells in the center, then add your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until custard is set and not jiggly. Top with more maple syrup replacement if desired and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat gently in the oven or in the air fryer.
- Nutrition facts can vary widely based on the items you use.
- Toppings aren't included in the nutrition facts as you can mix and match to make the perfect toast.
- This recipe can be made dairy free by using a plant based yogurt.
- It can also be made gluten free by using gluten free ingredients.
- You can use any sweetener you choose, just please note, that the low sugar amounts in our nutrition facts are due to the fact that we used sugar free maple syrup.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.