These gluten free keto cheese breadsticks are slathered in garlic butter, and totally delicious. They're super simple to make, and totally keto friendly too!
Who doesn't love a super cheesy piece of garlic bread? Now, make it gluten free and keto friendly, so you can actually feel good about eating it too, and boom! A winner!
These soft, gluten free cheesy breadsticks are made with just a few simple ingredients and are easy to master. Dunk these glorious cheesy bites into your favorite marinara sauce. You're going to love them!
Feel free to skip to the recipe card if you're ready to get right into it. We do cover common questions, tips, and tricks in the body of this post to keep reading if you're wondering something! This recipe is now also available as a Google web story here!
- Mozzarella cheese, cream cheese & egg - These three ingredients are often used in keto friendly creations to bind the dough together. We suppose this dough technically make this dough a "fat head dough". It's incredibly delicious and super simple to master.
- Almond flour - Our gluten free flour of choice. Bonus points that it's also keto friendly!
- Baking powder - It's used to help the dough rise in place of yeast. We haven't tried
- Xanthan gum - Is essential for gluten free baking. It helps hold things together, and it also helps your baked creations to rise.
- Dry seasonings - Of course we use salt and pepper, but we also add in some oregano, dried basil and garlic powder to bump up the flavor. Italian seasoning blend, garlic salt, onion powder, really anything you prefer for Italian cooking would work great here.
- Olive oil & unsalted butter - We use a bit of olive oil to help make the dough a bit easier to work with. The butter is for adding the garlic on top before baking with cheese.
- Fresh garlic - Grate or mince fresh garlic add to unsalted butter and spread over top of the dough before covering with cheese. You could use garlic powder instead if you prefer.
- Parmesan cheese - We use parmesan cheese to top the bread to get a nice and cheesy top alongside more shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Serve with: marinara sauce, fresh basil for garnish
How To Make Keto Cheese Breadsticks:
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the mozzarella and the cream cheese. Melt in the microwave in 20 second intervals. This will take about 1 – 2 minutes. Stir between intervals with a rubber spatula until the cheese is mostly melted.
Add the egg, almond flour dried seasonings, salt and pepper until well combined. The dough will be sticky.
Place the dough onto the parchment paper, and cover it with another piece of parchment. Use a rolling pin and smooth into an oval shape that is nearly the shape of the baking sheet. The dough will be roughly a quarter inch thick.
In a small bowl, melt the butter, then add in the minced garlic. Stir together and brush over the top of the dough. Cover with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, and the broil for 2-3 minutes on high to brown the cheese if desired.
Allow to cool for a few minutes, then cut into pieces using a pizza cutter. Garnish with fresh basil, serve these breadsticks with marinara sauce.
Tips For The Best Keto Cheesy Bread:
- If the dough is hard to work with, allow it to chill for a few moments in the fridge.
- The dough is very sticky, so use greased hands with a small amount of olive oil to work the dough.
- Make sure to roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, or else it will stick to the rolling pin too much.
- These Keto cheesy garlic breadsticks will save for about 5-7 days in the fridge. Reheat on the stovetop, covered, with a small amount of water to steam. You can also reheat under the broiler on low for a few minutes.
- Make sure to place the garlic butter underneath the layer of cheese on top, or else the garlic will burn.
Some Common Questions:
We imagine that using yeast in this recipe could potentially work, but we're not sure, and we haven't tried it ourselves. We can't advise it at this point. We'll be sure to update you if we do get around to it.
You could probably use your favorite gluten free flour blend in place of almond flour in this recipe, but we're not sure how that would interact with other ingredients. Since we have specifically designed this recipe to be both keto friendly and gluten free, almond flour was the natural choice for flour.
We're not sure that a different flour mix (like rice flour, etc.) would work here. If you try it out, make sure to let us know in the comments so we can update the post!
Honestly, in this case, no. Again, this recipe was designed to be both gluten free and keto friendly, so we used a variety of different dairy products including cheese, cream cheese, and butter. If we get to making a different bread stick recipe that is dairy free, we will be sure to link it on this post!
You won't even know this dough is low carb, at all! It tastes very neutral, and not like cheese, so don't worry. It's a great base for breads, buns and bagels. Some people even use it as a sweet dough as well. Feel free to add vanilla extract, cinnamon, sweetener and more to create some delicious and creative low carb bread substitutes.
You need to make sure you're using low-moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese for the dough. Any other type of mozzarella won't melt properly. You can use fresh mozzarella to top the cheesy bread!
More Recipes To Try:
- Eggplant Milanese (Gluten Free, Keto)
- Cast Iron Cheesy Baked Meatballs
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Mozzarella Shrimp Pasta
Need more ideas? Be sure to check out this massive list of over 85+ low carb and keto friendly recipes on our site!
Shop This Recipe:
Want to get supplies for this recipe or shop our keto kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites above and right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
If you get a chance to try this Cheesy Keto Breadsticks recipe, let us know what you think, would ya?! Leave us a comment, or catch up with us on Facebook or Instagram, or pin to your favorite Pinterest board for later. We love sharing your versions of our creations over on Instagram @afullliving!
If you could please leave a comment and/or a rating if you loved this recipe, we would be forever grateful! (Ratings helps users find our recipes, since users say that they like them!)
Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to subscribe to our email newsletter so you're the first to know about new recipes we post on our blog.
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Gluten Free Breadsticks with Cheese and Garlic (Keto)
For the dough:
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, low-moisture part skim
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup almond flour (112 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil to drizzle on the garlic bread to make the dough easier to work with
For the cheesy garlic topping:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the mozzarella and the cream cheese. Melt in the microwave in 20 second intervals. This will take about 1 - 2 minutes. Stir between intervals with a rubber spatula until the cheese is mostly melted.
- Add the egg, almond flour dried seasonings, salt and pepper until well combined. The dough will be sticky. Place the dough onto the parchment paper, and cover it with another piece of parchment. Use a rolling pin and smooth into an oval shape that is nearly the shape of the baking sheet. The dough will be roughly a quarter inch thick.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter, then add in the minced garlic. Stir together and brush over the top of the dough. Cover with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes, and the broil for 2-3 minutes on high to brown the cheese if desired.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then cut into pieces using a pizza cutter. Garnish with fresh basil, serve with marinara sauce.
- You can't use fresh mozzarella in the dough, it won't melt properly. Use low-moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese. Feel free to use fresh mozzarella cheese to top the breadsticks if you want.
- Olive oil for drizzling to spread the dough, fresh basil and marinara dipping sauce aren't included in the nutrition facts.
- Use whatever dried seasonings that you prefer. Italian seasoning would be great.
- If the dough is hard to work with, allow it to chill for a few minutes in the fridge. The dough will be quite sticky.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.