This Easy Keto Fried Cabbage and Sausage Skillet Recipe is one of the easiest and most delicious weeknight dinners that fits into your low carb, keto, or gluten free diet. It comes together in no time, and makes cabbage truly a star in this delicious, savory dish. You only need one cast iron skillet and about 30 minutes to make this delicious dinner. Combine cabbage and smoked sausage with a few simple ingredients, with big flavor.
This is one of those recipes where it’s just kind of always in rotation! It’s so easy to whip up, it’s always delicious, totally low carb and keto friendly, and gluten free. We love making easy dinners that come together in one skillet!
You only need 20 minutes or less to make this. If you’re looking for more of our other popular skillet dinner recipes, check out this Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole Skillet, Reuben Skillet, Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Skillet, Jalapeño Popper Chicken Skillet, or this Cajun Shrimp Sausage and Peppers Skillet! Some more ideas are this Keto Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Chicken and this Low Carb Jambalaya.
- Sausage of choice, we used Kiolbassa Smoked Meats Beef Sausage
- Yellow onion
- Garlic (or garlic powder)
- Cabbage, green or purple (or both!)
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Broth or water (your choice, we used beef bone broth for added nutrition)
- Kosher salt and black ground pepper to taste
- Garnish with parsley (optional)
How to Make Fried Cabbage and Sausage Recipe:
Start by washing and cutting up your vegetables. We sliced our garlic into thin pieces, but you could mince it, just depends on your preference. We also cut up our onions into thin slices, and cut the cabbage into bite sized pieces. Cut your smoked sausage into medium sized chunks.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add in 1 tbsp of butter, and the sausage pieces, then sear to your liking. Once the sausage is cooked to your preference, remove it from the pan, and set aside. Don’t drain the pan, and add in the remaining butter, your onions, and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, then add in your cabbage.
Add in your seasonings to toast, moving around with your spoon for about 1 minute. Then, pour into your broth or water, and add the sausage back to the skillet. Cook on medium heat until cabbage is softened, and the beef broth is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes minutes. At this point, adjust the seasonings to your preference, and take it off the heat.
Your Fried Cabbage and Sausage is ready. Garnish with parsley if you want, and then dig in!
How Should I Season This Cabbage and Sausage Skillet?
You can really use any seasoning you’d like for this. We went a more savory route with just a hint of spice, but mix it up! Add your favorite seasonings to make the perfect dinner for you.
What Type of Cabbage Should I Use For this Keto Fried Cabbage and Sausage Dish?
For this skillet, we used what we hand on hand, which happened to be purple and green cabbage. You can use whatever you want. We also loved the color that the purple cabbage brought, but of course, it’s not a requirement. Feel free to swap for Chinese or Napa Cabbage! These types of cabbage have a slightly sweeter taste, but also packs a nutritious punch. Read more about it here.
What Type of Liquid Should I Use to Cook The Cabbage and Smoked Sausage?
For this keto fried cabbage and sausage skillet, we used beef bone broth for added nutrition and flavor. Chicken broth, veggie broth, or even just water would work well!
What Sausage Should I Use For This Cabbage with Sausage Skillet?
You can use whatever sausage you want for this, but we recommend a smoked sausage We love Kiolbassa Smoked Meats, and we purchase them at Costco, so we pretty much always have a supply of them in the freezer. We also used 1.25 lbs, because this is how much four sausage links weigh. Use as much as you’d like.
Shop This Recipe!
Need supplies for this fried cabbage and sausage recipe? We’ve linked our favorites above and right here in our Amazon Store! A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn’t cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
If you’re a big fan of cabbage, you might like these recipes:
If you love this recipe, please consider sharing it with a friend and also leaving a rating and comment so others can find this recipe. Thank you for your support!
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Fried Cabbage and Sausage Skillet
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 13 oz smoked sausage of choice (we used Kiolbassa Smoked Meats beef sausage)
- 125 grams yellow onion (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 4 cloves garlic (or about 1 tsp of garlic powder)
- 6.5 oz green cabbage, chopped
- 6.5 oz purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with parsley (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When it's hot, add in 1 tbsp of butter, and the sausage pieces, then sear to your liking. Once the sausage is cooked to your preference, remove it from the pan, and set aside. Don't drain the pan, and add in the remaining butter, your onions, and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, then add in your cabbage.
- Add in your seasonings to toast, moving around with your spoon for about 1 minute. Then, pour into your broth or water, and add the sausage back to the skillet. Cook on medium heat until cabbage is softened, and the beef broth is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes minutes. At this point, adjust the seasonings to your preference, and take it off the heat.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.