Everyone loves Crispy Baked Chicken Wings! Even better when you can make them at home with just a few simple ingredients and tools. We season the wings so they have a spicy kick of their own, so they're good dry or with a side of buffalo sauce. These wings use no oil or breading, so they're gluten free and much healthier for you than restaurant style. In under an hour, you have crave-worthy crispy chicken wings!
This crispy oven baked chicken wings recipe makes for the ideal game day dish. The skin gets extra crispy with the help of a simple pantry staple- baking powder! No oil or mess, just grab a rimmed baking sheet, a little parchment paper and some seasonings to make it happen.
Kick them up a notch and turn them into baked buffalo wings, with an optional buffalo sauce, or just enjoy them plain with a dry rub.
Feel free to skip to the recipe card to get right into it, but we do recommend reading through the body of the post if you have questions. We show lots of process shots, make suggestions for substitutions, and make sure to answer common questions. This post is also available as a Google Web Story.
- Split chicken wings- Bone-in. We like to buy them precut usually, but you can cut them yourself. Our recipe makes about 3.5 pounds chicken wings.
- Kosher salt - Don't be shy with the kosher salt. You want about one teaspoon of salt for every pound of chicken wings.
- Seasonings- This is just our suggestion, but onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and ground black pepper make a really great base. Feel free to add things in like lemon pepper, parsley, cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, or really anything!
- Baking powder - This is the essential ingredient for making these wings crispy!! This is another thing that you need about 1 teaspoon per every pound of wings. Gluten free baking powder is an easy way to make these chicken wings crispy (and gluten free), with no extra calories!
For the optional buffalo sauce:
These wings are honestly delicious as is. You don't even have to coat them in sauce, and are good as just a dry rub. If you want to take them to the next level, make sure to try this super simple buttery buffalo dipping sauce.
- Unsalted butter - We like to make a buttery, buffalo dipping sauce for these wings. Skip the salted butter though, as there is already enough salt on the wings themselves.
- Buffalo sauce of choice - we love some Frank's Red Hot for these!
- Serve with: veggies, blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, hot sauce (optional)
How to Make Crispy Baked Wings:
Step 1: Season the Wings
Preheat your oven to 425°F. Pat the wings dry with paper towels to get rid of extra moisture.
Mix up your seasoning blend, then coat the wings. Mix to make sure everything is well incorporated. Use gloved hands, tongs or a rubber spatula.
Step 2: Add the baking powder (for extra crispy skin!)
Sprinkle on the baking powder, tossing to evenly coat.
Step 3: Bake
Add the chicken wings to the parchment paper, skin side down and cook for 25 about minutes. After 25 minutes, then flip over, so that both sides of the chicken wings can get nice and crispy for 20-25 minutes, watching closely.
Step 4: Make the Sauce
About 5 minutes or so before the wings come out of the oven, heat your butter and hot sauce together in a small saucepan over medium low heat. After combined, put in a dish to use for dipping sauce later.
Toss the wings to coat if desired. Dig in!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Chicken wings baked with baking powder is the secret ingredient to making these wings crispy. It might seem crazy, but baking powder is part of the formula that dries the skin out so that wings get crispy, but the chicken meat stays juicy.
Don't worry, it doesn't taste like anything, just don't accidentally use baking soda. Definitely not the same thing! You want to use about 1 teaspoon of baking powder per pound of wings.
You'll also want to make sure you dry your chicken wings off well with paper towels to get rid of any extra moisture. Moisture creates steam, and steam definitely won't help us get crispy skin.
Another tip is to make sure to spread your wings out on the pan so they aren't touching. Again, too many wings too close together will also steam the chicken wings.
The other secret is the high temperature - we bake ours at 425°F, for 45-50 minutes.
If you plan on making enough for leftovers, leave the sauce off until it's time to serve to avoid anything getting soggy.
Lastly, make sure to flip the wings halfway through baking, and also use parchment paper. These few tips will ensure super crispy wings!
This question is subjective, but you can't really go wrong. Use what you like. We like to keep it simple since we always make the buffalo sauce to accompany with it, but just adjust according to your tastes. You could truly enjoy these oven baked wings as is, without sauce. They're very good plain!
We do recommend mixing your dry seasonings prior to adding them to chicken wings, to make sure everything gets evenly incorporated.
Please keep in mind the salt content that we suggest. If you follow our 1 teaspoon of kosher salt per 1 pound of wings, these will be pretty perfect. Keep in mind that pink Himalayan salt and other types of salt may be saltier than kosher salt.
Serve these with any sides you like. We of course love celery, carrots, ranch dressing or blue cheese. Feel free to crack a cold beer to go with, yum!
Shop This Recipe!
Need supplies for this crispy chicken wings recipe? We've linked our favorites above and right here in our Amazon Store! You don't pay anything extra if you shop using our link, but we get a small percentage of the sale. A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com.
We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
More Recipes You Will Love:
- Healthy Keto Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Keto Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Skillet
- Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Jalapeño Poppers > Coming soon!
If you get a chance to try this Crispy Baked Chicken Wings recipe, let us know what you think, would ya?! Leave us a comment, or catch up with us on Facebook or Instagram, or pin to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
If you love this recipe, please consider sharing it with a friend and also leaving a rating and comment so others can find this recipe. Thank you for your support!
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
For the wings:
For the buffalo sauce (optional):
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 4 ounces buffalo sauce of choice (we like Frank's RedHot)
- Serve with: veggies, blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Dry your chicken wings off very well with paper towels to get rid of extra moisture.
- Mix up your seasoning blend, then coat the wings. We use our hands (with gloves on) to make sure everything is well incorporated. Then, add the baking powder and make sure the wings get well coated with that as well.
- Place the wings skin side down on the parchment paper to help crisp up the skin. Cook for 25 minutes, and then flip over, so that both sides of the chicken wings can get nice and crispy for another 25 minutes.
- About 5 minutes or so before the wings come out of the oven, heat your butter and hot sauce together in a small saucepan over medium low heat. After combined, put in a dish to use for dipping sauce later.
- Now, simply taste, and dunk the chicken wings in sauces, and dig in!
- Reheat under the broiler, or in the air fryer at 400°F for 3-5 minutes for best results.
- If making enough for leftovers, leave the sauce off until it's time to serve.
- Season according to your own personal preference!
- Keep in mind that we used kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of chicken wings. This made for perfect wings.
- Also use 1 teaspoon of baking powder per pound of wings.
- For super crispy wings, make sure to use parchment, flip halfway through, avoid overcrowding the pan and don't skip the baking powder!
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.
Simple and delicious!
So glad you liked it!!
Loved this recipe! Super easy to follow and the wings turned out super crispy!
We're so happy you loved it, Aliza! Thanks for the 5 star review! 🙂