This Apple Cider Whiskey Sour is bursting with fall flavors and is the perfect cocktail for both apple and whiskey lovers. You will love this autumnal twist on the classic cocktail, and it's ready in 5 minutes or less!
Please note: This recipe was originally published in October of 2019, but it has been re-photographed and improved. We hope you enjoy the new look!
This is the perfect kind of whiskey sour for special occasions in the fall. From Halloween to Thanksgiving, this delicious drink is the perfect balance of bourbon whiskey and the flavor of fresh apples!
❤️Why we love this recipe
- Quick and easy - Who doesn't love a drink that serves many that comes together in 5 minutes or less? No simple syrup or anything, as this drink is sweetened with maple syrup.
- A tasty twist on the classic whiskey sour - We love a good whiskey sour, but we also love all things apple! Combine whiskey with lemon juice, a little maple syrup, and an egg white for a foamy top makes for an incredible drink that's perfect for fall.
- Made with staple ingredients - There's nothing too special you need for this recipe, you probably already have most of what you need at home. You can find all of these ingredients at your favorite grocery store.
Here are the ingredients used for this drink. You can find more information for substitutions below.
- Whiskey - Bourbon whiskey is traditionally used when making a whiskey sour.
- Apple cider - Use store-bought or our homemade sugar free apple cider.
- Egg white - Another ingredient traditionally used in a whiskey sour, but you can omit it if you prefer.
- Fresh lemon juice & orange juice - Freshly squeezed. Orange juice is not a traditional ingredient in this drink but it adds a lovely sweetness.
- Maple syrup
- Ice - Added to the cocktail shaker after the dry shake.
- Apple slices & cinnamon sticks - For garnish.
Visit the recipe card for the full quantities and nutritional information.
✨Substitutions & variations
Here are a few simple swaps you can make to this punch to help it suit your preferences.
- Low carb or keto. Use our homemade sugar free apple cider, and your favorite keto friendly maple syrup (affiliate link) that has a runny texture, so it can emulsify properly. Thick sugar-free syrups will not work here unless you thin it with hot water.
- Like it sweeter? Feel free to add more maple syrup or orange juice for an even sweeter drink.
- Less sweet. Scale back on the maple syrup and/or orange juice.
- More tart. Replace the orange juice with an equal amount of fresh lemon juice.
- Boozier. Add more bourbon.
- Omit the egg white. Feel free to leave the egg white out if you prefer or are vegan.
- Use aquafaba in place of egg white. Vegans or those not fond of egg whites in their drinks can also swap for 2 tablespoons of aquafaba (the starchy water found at the top of cans of chickpeas) as a replacement for 1 large egg white.
- Swap the sweetener. You can use simple syrup or just more apple cider if you like.
- Use apple juice. Swap apple cider 1:1 for apple juice.
- If making your own sugar free apple cider, do this ahead of time, up to 10 days in advance, so they have time to cool off before adding it to the cocktail shaker.
- Prepare fresh squeezed lemon juice & orange juice.
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Make sure to wash the outside of the egg to remove any bacteria!
- Place your serving glasses in the freezer to chill. Since this drink is served without ice, having a cold glass will make the drink more enjoyable.
In a cocktail shaker with no ice pour in lemon juice (Image 1) followed by orange juice. (Image 2)
Add in apple cider, (Image 3) followed by maple syrup. (Image 4)
Add in the bourbon (Image 5), followed by the optional egg white. (Image 6)
Shake without ice (also known as a dry shake) for 30 seconds to form a nice foam on top. (Image 7) *If you're not using an egg white, skip to step 8.
Add ice to the shaker (Image 8), then shake again for 30 seconds to chill.
Pour into glasses. (Image 9) Garnish with a cinnamon stick and apple slices in the glass. Enjoy! (Image 10)
For best results, you may want to double-strain the mixture into your chilled glasses to avoid any ice shards or egg white bits.
If you forget to double strain (like we did in Image 9, oops!) and you notice any egg white bits, you can always dump the cocktail through a strainer into another glass!
💭Frequently Asked Questions
We don't recommend making this ahead of time, as it doesn't store well. If you like, you can prepare the egg whites, lemon juice, and orange juice up to 1 day in advance, and store them separately in the fridge.
Mostly, yes! While it is never 100% safe to consume raw eggs, the risk these days is very minimal. Do not consume raw egg white if you are immunocompromised, pregnant, or nursing.
These days, eggs are treated to be safe from any salmonella, so it is generally considered okay to consume egg white. We always use the highest quality eggs we can find for any drinks we prepare with an egg white.
With that said, you should carefully clean the egg before cracking it to separate the egg yolk from the egg white, in case there is any bacteria on the outside of the eggshell.
We've talked about safety now, so let's discuss why we use egg whites in the first place!
The egg white creates an incredible foam with a silky, luscious texture. It also adds richness. In this drink, the egg white mellows out the tartness from the lemon juice.
Other Fall Cocktail Recipes To Consider
Did you try this recipe? Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! 🌟 This helps other readers find our recipes and encourages them to try them. Also, be sure to leave a comment with your experience. Follow along, and tag @AFullLiving on Instagram with your photos!
Apple Whiskey Sour
- cocktail shaker
- Fine mesh strainer
- 3 ounces apple cider
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- ½ - 1 ounce maple syrup (to taste)
- ½ ounce fresh orange juice
- 1 large egg white (optional, and use fresh, high quality eggs)
- ice for shaking (AFTER the dry shake!)
- cinnamon sticks and apple slices for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker with no ice, add lemon juice, orange juice, apple cider, maple syrup, bourbon, and the egg white if using. Dry shake without ice for 30 seconds.
- Add ice, then shake again for 30 seconds to chill. Double strain into a chilled glass.
- We don't recommend saving this recipe or making ahead of time, and it is best enjoyed fresh.
- Chill your glasses in the freezer to keep your drink cold longer.
- Make sure to wash eggs to remove any potential bacteria on the shell before separating the egg yolk and white if using.
- Egg whites are optional, and can be replaced with 2 tablespoons of aquafaba if desired.
- If desired, double-strain the drink into the glass to ensure no bits of egg white bits or ice shards are in the drink.
- Sweeten to taste with maple syrup.
- You can replace the fresh orange juice with lemon juice for a more sour drink.
- Apple juice can be used in place of apple cider.
- Feel free to lower the carbs in this drink by using our homemade sugar free apple cider recipe, as well as a sugar free maple syrup replacement that is runny, not thick.