This Creamy Whipped Ricotta is an easy recipe made with simple ingredients. It's one of our favorite appetizers to serve with crispy baguette slices, crostini, or pita chips. It's a delicious addition to a charcuterie board or an antipasto platter. It's ready in 5 minutes or less!
Just when we thought creamy ricotta cheese couldn't get any better, we added honey, olive oil, lemon, and fresh herbs then food-processed it.
It really does take the ricotta to a whole new level and becomes something silky smooth and luxurious. This totally irresistible ricotta will become a go-to!
❤️Why we love this recipe
- Elevates ricotta cheese - This recipe takes ricotta to new heights, where it becomes a delicious appetizer or snack with crusty bread and confit cherry tomatoes or even fresh fruit, a part of a quick lunch or healthy breakfast. Turning ricotta into a creamy dip is probably the best way we can think of to enjoy it.
- Quick and easy - You really only need about 5 minutes to make this yummy recipe, which is always great when hosting gatherings or attending them!
- Made with simple ingredients - You can find all the ingredients for this recipe at all the local grocery stores if you don't already have them on hand.
- Suitable for gluten free, low carb, and vegetarian diets - This recipe naturally suits multiple diet types, making it great to serve guests.
Here are the ingredients we used for this recipe. You can find more information for substitutions below.
- Whole milk ricotta
- Lemon juice & fresh lemon zest
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- Honey - To taste.
- Fresh thyme - Optional, but delicious.
Visit the recipe card for the full quantities and nutritional information.
✨Substitutions & variations
Here are a few suggestions on additional flavors to try, or simple variations to this recipe.
- Sweet whipped ricotta - Omit some of the salt, the pepper, and add more honey to create a sweet honey-whipped ricotta.
- Herbed - Add more herbs like basil, parsley, rosemary, and/or fresh mint for a lovely herbaceous flavor.
- Swap the citrus - Swap lemon for orange zest and juice for a sweeter taste.
- Spicy - Add red chili flakes, hot honey, or some Calabrian chili paste (affiliate link) for a spicy and creamy spread.
- Add garlic - Add fresh minced garlic or roasted garlic for a delicious garlicky flavor.
- Add pesto - This delicious walnut pesto would mix wonderfully into this dish.
- Allow the ricotta to sit out at room temperature for 15-20 minutes so that it blends up nicely.
- Juice and zest 1 lemon.
- Prep thyme (if using) by removing the leaves from the stems.
- Measure out all remaining ingredients.
Add ricotta to a food processor, and add lemon zest. (Image 1) Add honey. (Image 2)
Add salt to taste, (Image 3) followed by olive oil, black pepper, and fresh thyme. (Image 4)
Add fresh lemon juice, (Image 5) and food process until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste, and food process again if anything is added. (Image 6)
Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with a drizzle of honey, lemon zest, fresh thyme, flaky sea salt, and black pepper. Serve with pieces of French baguettes or other fresh bread, crostinis, fresh vegetables, fruit, or your favorite crackers. Enjoy!
- Sweeten and season to taste. Add honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Start by adding less, then add more to suit your tastes.
Need supplies? Shop our Amazon store! Stock your pantry, and find all of our favorite kitchen tools! A Full Living LLC earns a small commission through purchases on our storefront to help support this site.
💭Frequently Asked Questions
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Do not freeze.
Yes! There are numerous ways to make this whipped ricotta. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on medium speed.
Mix until the mixture is smooth and creamy, and no graininess of the ricotta remains.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add slices of bread to a baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until crispy and golden brown, about 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through until the bread is golden brown and crispy.
You can also make crostini on the stovetop by adding olive to a skillet and grilling bread over medium heat until golden brown.
More Recipes To Consider
Did you try this recipe? Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! 🌟 This helps other readers find our recipes and encourages them to try them. Also, be sure to leave a comment with your experience. Follow along, and tag @AFullLiving on Instagram with your photos!
- food processor, hand mixer, or stand mixer
- Rubber Spatula
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ - 1 lemon juice and zest (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- honey, olive oil, and flaky sea salt for garnish
- Add all ingredients to a food processor, a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, or to a large bowl and mix on medium speed until combined. Adjust seasonings to taste, and blend again until creamy and smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Do not freeze.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, along with honey and lemon juice.
- Feel free to season with your favorite herbs and spices, like mint, basil, parsley, or rosemary.
- For a spicy kick, add hot honey, and red pepper flakes.
- Add roasted or raw minced garlic for a garlicky punch.
- Orange juice and zest can be used in place of lemon juice and zest.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.