This High Protein Overnight Oatmeal Recipe is perfect for busy mornings. This make-ahead breakfast is a great source of protein with over 52 grams of protein per serving. You only need a few minutes of prep time and a handful of pantry staples. This recipe is packed with extra flavor and nutrients to keep you going all day!
If you struggle to find a healthy breakfast option in the morning, you can't go wrong with these delicious overnight protein oats. They have an incredible creamy texture, are easy to make, and are ultra satisfying. Wake up to a breakfast that you will actually crave!
You may also enjoy these bliss balls, these chocolate baked oats, this keto granola recipe, these baked oatmeal cups, or these frozen granola yogurt bars!
❤️Why we love this recipe
- High-protein oatmeal recipe - This ultra-filling and satisfying recipe is an easy way to get healthy protein. Sometimes upping your protein intake can be difficult, but this simple recipe makes it incredibly easy.
- Totally customizable - Add your favorite toppings, protein powder, nut butter, seeds, fruit, and more with this recipe to suit your taste preferences. You can also customize the ingredients to make this recipe totally gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and even vegan!
- Make ahead breakfast and great for meal prep - No more rushing around in the mornings struggling to get something to eat or skipping a nutritious breakfast. Make something the night before or even make them in bulk for meal prep once per week. In the busy mornings, you can just grab a mason jar from the fridge and be on your way.
- Enjoy hot or cold - We like to heat ours up the next morning in the microwave before adding more toppings, but these creamy overnight oats are great cold as well.
Here are the ingredients we used for this recipe. You can find more information for substitutions below.
- Rolled oats
- Whey vanilla protein powder - Or any type of protein powder you prefer.
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Kosher salt - Balances the sweetness.
- Vanilla extract
- Whole milk - You can use any type of milk, but we prefer using an ultra-filtered whole milk since it's high in protein.
- Greek yogurt
- Pure maple syrup
- Peanut butter - Natural peanut butter is great for drizzling.
- Fresh fruit - We love using fresh berries like fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries as a topping, but mixed in sometimes as well. Don't forget bananas for texture, sweetness, and taste.
- Toppings of choice - We like use chocolate chips or chunks, peanuts, coconut flakes, more peanut butter, and fruit for toppings.
Visit the recipe card for the full quantities and nutritional information.
✨Substitutions & variations
Here are a few suggestions on additional flavors to try, or simple variations to these overnight oats.
- Dairy free and vegan - Use your favorite plant-based vegan protein powder, a dairy-free yogurt, and non-dairy milk.
- Gluten-free - Use certified gluten-free oats, we love these ones by Bob's Red Mill.
- Nut free - Use your favorite seed butter instead of nut butter, and omit the
- Thinner consistency - Add a little extra milk to make the mixture thinner.
- Swap the oats - You can use steel-cut oats for an even heartier texture. We don't recommend using instant oats or quick oats as they will become too mushy.
- Chocolate overnight oats - Use cocoa powder and chocolate protein powder for an extra chocolatey taste.
- Use your favorite milk substitute - You can use oat milk, unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, and many more!
- Cut any fresh fruit.
- Measure out all remaining ingredients.
In a jar or container, combine the dry ingredients. Add oats, chia seeds, hemp hearts, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. (Image 1)
Now it's time for the wet ingredients. Start by adding the nut butter. (Image 2)
Add the vanilla extract, maple syrup, and bananas. (Image 3)
Pour in the milk, (Image 4) and stir to combine. (Image 5) Cover with plastic wrap or a lid. Store in the fridge for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight) to thicken up.
Before serving, you can add your favorite toppings if desired. Enjoy!
✨Tips & tricks
- Sweeten to taste. If making this recipe for the first time, add maple syrup slowly and taste as you go. You can always add more.
Need supplies? Shop our Amazon store! Stock your pantry, and find all of our favorite kitchen tools! A Full Living LLC earns a small commission through purchases on our storefront to help support this site.
💭Frequently Asked Questions
These overnight oats are great for meal prep and store very well. Keep in a clear, airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Do not freeze.
More Recipes To Consider
Did you try this recipe? Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! 🌟 This helps other readers find our recipes and encourages them to try them. Also, be sure to leave a comment with your experience. Follow along, and tag @AFullLiving on Instagram with your photos!
Protein Overnight Oats
- medium or large jar or container
- 48 grams rolled oats (½ cup)
- 1 scoop whey protein powder
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ tablespoon hemp hearts
- ½ medium banana, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ - 1 tablespoon maple syrup (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 4 ounces whole milk (or milk of choice)
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- hemp hearts
- chocolate pieces
- peanut butter
- chocolate shavings
- Add all ingredients (except toppings) to a jar or container and stir with a spoon to mix until combined. Cover with plastic wrap or a lid and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight to thicken.
- Before serving, top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- The ingredients here are very customizable, this recipe is designed to be very high in protein but you can omit ingredients as needed to suit your preferences and diet type.
- The staple ingredients needed to make overnight oats include: rolled oats, milk of choice, chia seeds, banana, and a sweetener of choice. Everything else is optional.
- Additional toppings are not included in the nutrition facts, and aren't necessary to include.
- If making this recipe for the first time, add maple syrup slowly and to taste to achieve your desired sweetness.
- Vegan - Use plant-based yogurt and milk.
- Gluten-free - Make sure to use gluten-free oats.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.
SO MUCH YUM. I have a tough time hitting protein goals and this is the most refreshing and delicious way to do it.
We're so thrilled to hear this Kelsey! Thanks so much for trying it and for the sweet review! 🙂