This Homemade KFC Famous Bowl is the ultimate comfort food for the whole family! You'll love this easy copycat recipe made with a few pantry staples. Our famous chicken bowl is a gluten free version. We've included instructions on how to make your own gluten free homestyle gravy, and also how to make this recipe conventional. In no time you'll have an easy meal that everyone will love!
Growing up, I was a big fan of the KFC bowls. They're pretty perfect since they are individual serving bowls with the perfect blend of mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, crispy chicken tenders, home-style gravy, and sweet corn.
Skip the fast food, we'll dive into just how easy it is to make a homemade version of Kentucky Fried Chicken famous bowls. This easy dinner recipe is one of the best comfort meals ever!
If you're looking for more delicious chicken recipes, be sure to check out this creamy chicken and butternut squash recipe, this baked chicken feta sheet pan dinner, and these air fryer garlic parmesan wings.
❤️Why you'll love this
- Customizable for different diet types - This recipe makes a few simple swaps to make it suitable for multiple diet types. Our recipe is gluten free because we used gluten free chicken nuggets, and a gluten free gravy, but it's super easy to make a few simple swaps for conventional diets, low carb diets, dairy free, and even vegan!
- Easy ingredients - You only need a few pantry, fridge, and freezer staples to bring the whole thing together.
- Minimal prep time - This fun spin on famous KFC bowls takes very little time to prepare from start to finish!
- Perfect for meal prep - If you need something you can reheat all week long and still look forward to, this recipe is for you.
Here are the ingredients you will need.
Here is a list of ingredients, you can see the recipe card for quantities and nutritional information.
- Potatoes - Use anything you like for mashed potatoes. We used Yukon Gold baby potatoes and cut them in half so they would cook more evenly. You can also use any leftover mashed potatoes you like, like this redskin mashed potatoes recipe.
- Frozen chicken nuggets - We don't have our own gluten free chicken nugget recipe just yet, so we use some delicious gluten free chicken nuggets that we get in the frozen section. You can use any chicken nuggets you want here, the key is to just have lots of chunks of crispy chicken! Traditionally, crispy popcorn chicken is used at KFC, but you can use whatever you like.
- Canned corn - Fresh or canned sweet corn can be used here. We prefer to just use canned, with no added sugar, and drain the liquid away.
- Seasonings - We used a mixture of kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder for the gravy and mashed potatoes.
- Heavy cream - To make the mashed potatoes. Milk or half and half can also be used.
- Butter - For the best creamy mashed potatoes, and for the chicken gravy.
- Chicken or turkey stock - To make the gravy to top the bowls.
- Xanthan gum - Optional thickener for the gravy. We use it because it is gluten free. You could also use cornstarch.
- Shredded cheese - Traditionally cheddar cheese is used, but we used Colby Jack.
- Parsley - Optional, and for garnish!
To start, prepare your chicken nuggets according to the package directions. We opted to add ours to a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet, but we often use our air fryer too.
Your package instructions will tell you the cook time, and it will vary a lot from brand to brand, and whether or not the chicken nuggets are raw or pre-cooked.
* Cook until chicken nuggets are golden brown and crispy, and have reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes in hot, salted water until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
After they are cooked through, you can use a potato masher, hand mixer, or a blender to make the mashed potatoes.
We opted for a blender for super smooth and creamy mashed potatoes. Add in melted butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Blend until creamy and smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Now, onto the gravy. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining butter. Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste, then slowly add in the chicken stock, whisking continuously.
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the mixture to a simmer, and slowly add in xanthan gum and whisk continuously. Start slow and add more as needed, as the gravy continues to simmer on the stove, and even after it cools, the sauce will thicken. Simmer for a few minutes until desired texture is reached. A little bit of xanthan gum goes a long way!
Now, it's time to assemble! Add mashed potatoes as the base to individual bowls. Top with gravy, sweet corn, shredded cheese, and top with chicken nuggets. Garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Hint: If the components are done at different times, warm them gently in the microwave or reheat the chicken nuggets in the air fryer to make sure everything is piping hot right before serving!
If you follow a different diet type, don't worry! We have a few suggestions.
- Low carb - You could use unbreaded chicken breasts in place of chicken nuggets, and replace the mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice.
- Conventional diet (no restrictions)- You could use flour to thicken your chicken gravy, or simply buy a jar of pre-made gravy or a gravy flavor packet from the store. You can also use any chicken nugget you like.
- Dairy free - To make these bowls dairy free, just swap regular butter for your favorite vegan butter, the heavy cream for your favorite creamy plant based milk, and use vegan shredded cheese.
- Vegan - Want to make a vegan KFC famous bowl? Follow all of the instructions from above in dairy free, then simply use a plant based nugget in place of regular chicken nuggets!
💭Frequently asked questions
Yes! You can make spicy popcorn chicken or chicken nuggets by coating the nuggets in your favorite hot sauce before topping your bowl.
🛒Shop this post
Want more supplies for this recipe or to shop our kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
Store components separately in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gravy gently in the microwave or on the stovetop, crisp up chicken nuggets in the air fryer or reheat in the microwave, and heat corn and mashed potatoes in the microwave.
When all components are warmed up, assemble your bowls.
🌟Leave a review!
Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! This helps other readers find our recipes via Google, and encourages them to try them. Also be sure to leave a comment with your experience!
KFC Famous Bowl
- 36 ounces gluten free chicken nuggets (this was about 3 packages of the brand we used)
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn
- 4 ounces colby jack cheese, shredded (could use cheddar)
- 3 pounds potatoes, halved
- salted water to cover potatoes (we used about 6 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt to salt the water)
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream (use less or more to suit your personal preference)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & divided
- 4.5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided (or to taste)
- 16 ounces chicken stock (2 cups)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (use UP TO ½ a teaspoon, but start with less and add more as needed)
- Prepare chicken nuggets according to package directions. Make sure they are golden brown and crispy, and that the internal temperature has reached 165°F.
- Add potatoes to a pot of salted water. You want enough water to just cover the potatoes, and the water should taste very salty. Bring potatoes to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes until fork tender, then drain.
- Now, mash the potatoes using a potato masher, stand mixer, blender, or hand mixer. Add potatoes, 8 tablespoons of melted butter, heavy cream, about 1 tablespoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper, ½ teaspoon of onion powder, and ½ a teaspoon of garlic powder and mash until creamy and smooth.
- To make the gravy, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan. Gently pour in chicken stock, and season with remaining salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Slowly whisk in the xanthan gum, whisking constantly to dissolve it. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, whisking often until desired texture is reached.
- In single-serving bowls, layer mashed potatoes, chicken, corn, gravy, and cheese. Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat and assemble!
- Nutrition facts will vary widely based on the brands you use. We used these gluten free chicken nuggets .
- Add xanthan gum slowly to thicken your sauce.
- Jarred chicken gravy can be used instead of making your own.
- Please see the body of the post for the full list of substitutions and variations.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.