Enjoy the mouthwatering flavors of beef and rice cabbage rolls, without all the extra carbs that rice adds! This keto cabbage roll soup is so flavorful and easy to make a large batch. It’s a great recipe for meal prep.
We love this super easy soup recipe, with only 10 net carbs per serving. You can make this gluten free “unstuffed cabbage roll soup” on the stovetop in a dutch oven like we do. It’s one of our favorite low carb recipes to eat for an easy lunch or dinner throughout the week.
You’re going to love how simple it is to make a low carb soup with a head of cabbage. It’s absolutely delicious! Feel free to skip to the recipe card if you’re ready to get right into it. We do cover common questions, tips, and tricks in the body of this post to keep reading if you’re wondering something!
How To Make Keto Cabbage Roll Soup:
Sauté The Vegetables:
In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in onion, bell peppers, and jalapeño with a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Add Aromatics and Seasonings:
After onions and peppers are softened, add in the dry seasonings and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add in the tomato paste and cook it deepens in color. About 2-3 minutes.
Brown The Beef and Pork:
Add the ground pork and beef to the dutch oven with plenty of salt. Brown the meat, about 10 minutes.
Finishing The Soup:
Add in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, cabbage and some fresh parsley if desired.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 20-30 minutes until cabbage is softened.
Dig in! Garnish with fresh parsley, green onions, cheese, sour cream, really anything you like. We opted for just some fresh parsley this time around.
Tips for Making This Soup in the Instant Pot:
- Follow all the same instructions using the sauté function on your instant pot for browning the vegetables and meat. Add in beef broth, cabbage and then give the soup a stir. Seal the pressure cooker, and pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- We like to use the quick release function for this soup, since cabbage cooks quite quickly and gets soft. Serve right away!
How To Make This Soup In The Slow Cooker:
- To prepare in the slow cooker, you will want to cook down your ground meat in a skillet or dutch oven for best results.
- You can add in your peppers, onions, garlic and all other seasonings in the slow cooker on top of the cooked meat. Add in the broth and the raw cabbage with a pinch more seasoning and slow cook on high for 3-4 hours, or high for 6-8 hours.
Can I Make This Soup Dairy Free?
Yes! It’s super easy to make this soup dairy free. In fact, all you have to do is swap out the butter for any other cooking oil you prefer. We often use olive oil too.
Can This Soup Be Made With Ground Turkey?
Yes, this keto cabbage roll soup can be made with any ground meat of choice. Ground turkey or ground chicken would be great substitutes.
How To Make This Soup Vegan:
You can make this soup vegan very easily! Simply use a meat replacement instead of ground pork and ground beef. You can also swap out the beef broth for vegetable broth, and then finally, use an oil instead of butter for browning the meat and veggies.
Can I Add Riced Cauliflower To This Keto Cabbage Roll Soup?
Yes, absolutely! That would give it a more traditional “rice” feel. We opted to leave it out this time to help lower the carb count. We prefer to pack the soup full of flavor from onion, garlic, seasonings etc.
On average, 1 cup (or about 107 grams) of cauliflower rice has only 3 net carbs. It’s only 25 calories and packed with nutrients. Read more about the health benefits of cauliflower rice here.
More Recipes To Try:
- Easy Keto Fried Cabbage and Sausage Skillet Recipe
- Rutabaga Hash with Bacon Cabbage and Leeks
- Gluten Free Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- Cast Iron Meatballs – Cheesy Baked One Skillet Meal
- Easy Cajun Chicken Alfredo
If you need grocery shopping inspiration, check out our Costco keto grocery list here!
Shop This Recipe:
Want to get supplies for this recipe or shop our keto kitchen or pantry? We’ve linked our favorites above and right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn’t cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
If you get a chance to try this recipe, let us know what you think, would ya?! Leave us a comment, or catch up with us on Facebook or Instagram, or pin to your favorite Pinterest board for later. We love sharing your versions of our creations over on Instagram @afullliving!
If you could please leave a comment and/or a rating if you loved this recipe, we would be forever grateful! (Ratings helps users find our recipes, since users say that they like them!)
Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to subscribe to our email newsletter so you’re the first to know about new recipes we post on our blog.
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Keto Cabbage Roll Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 whole bell peppers, diced (choose any colors you prefer)
- 1 whole jalapeño, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2.5 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1.34 pounds ground beef, 85% lean
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes (about 2 14.5 ounce cans)
- 32 ounces green cabbage, chopped (about 1 medium head of cabbage)
- Fresh parsley, salt and pepper to garnish
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in onion, bell peppers, and jalapeño with a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. After onions and peppers are softened, add in the dry seasonings and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato paste and cook it deepens in color. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground pork and beef to the dutch oven with plenty of salt. Brown the meat, about 10 minutes.
- Soup will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. You can freeze for up to 6 months.
- To make this soup in an instant pot, follow all of the same instructions using the sauté function. Add the broth and the cabbage, then pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- In a slow cooker, brown the meat, then cover it with the rest of the ingredients. Slow cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Use whatever broth you prefer for this recipe.
- To make this soup dairy free, skip the butter and use olive oil instead.
- This soup can easily be made vegan by using a meat alternative, oil instead of butter, and using a plant based broth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste!
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.