There are so many air fryer recipes that have been coming your way lately, and we haven't planned on stopping! These perfectly seasoned and delicious bites of sweet potato were a natural fit for our new air fryer. Don't have one? Don't worry. We'll include directions on how to make the perfect sweet potatoes in the oven as well.
Read through to find out more about how these yummy air fryer sweet potato cubes come together in a few simple steps. Or, you can skip to the recipe card to get right into it. We do recommend reading this post fully if you have any questions, since we take time to answer them in the body of the text. This post is also available as a Google Web Story!
- Sweet potatoes - Look for those with red or orange skin and few blemishes. The potato should be firm with no soft spots.
- Avocado oil - You could also use olive oil if you prefer, but we prefer avocado oil here since it has such a high smoke point, and a neutral flavor.
- Dry seasonings - The only real essential seasoning here is kosher salt, and if you're going to be using these potatoes for another recipe, it's a good idea to keep the seasoning neutral. Since we often serve these sweet potatoes with with more "plain" main dishes, we like to season them up really well. We use a mixture of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. We'll suggest a few more ideas for seasoning later on.
How To Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks:
Step 1: Peel & Chop the Sweet Potatoes
Wash the potatoes right before peeling, but not ahead of time. Scrub to get rid of any dirt. Peel sweet potatoes skin, or if you prefer, you can leave it on. We prefer to peel it off so we can get the pieces to cook more evenly.
Cut sweet potatoes into ½ inch to 1 inch cubes or chunks.
Step 2: Season the Sweet Potatoes
In a large bowl, add your sweet potato cubes. Coat with avocado oil, then add in seasonings and mix until potatoes are fully coated.
Step 3: Cook Sweet Potatoes
Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Spray your air fryer basket with a little oil, line with foil or parchment. Our air fryer uses trays that are non-stick, so we don't feel the need to add anything extra for this application.
You want to add the sweet potatoes in a single layer and don't put them too close together to ensure maximum crispiness. Air fry for 13-17 minutes, switching the trays or tossing the sweet potatoes halfway through to make sure everything is cooking evenly.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, you can chop up some fresh parsley for garnish if you like.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!
Adjust seasonings to taste, garnish with parsley and flakey sea salt if desired, and enjoy!
What To Serve These Air Fried Sweet Potato Cubes:
- As a side to this Keto Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Chicken.
- Add them to this Harvest Salad in place of the butternut squash.
- Serve them as a breakfast side with eggs, bacon and sausage.
- As a side to this Steak and Seafood Skillet or these Grilled Smoked Sausage and Shrimp Skewers!
- With this Pesto Butter Salmon.
- As a side to these Garlic Butter Steak Bites with Lemon Zucchini Noodles.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If you prefer roasted or baked sweet potatoes, you can follow all of the same instructions as the air fryer instructions, with a few differences.
- The oven temperature should be set to 425°F.
- Add parchment paper to the baking sheet for maximum crispiness and easy clean up.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, tossing every 15-20 minutes, to ensure all sides get crispy.
- That's it! Enjoy!
There are many ways you can season sweet potatoes, and it all depends on your preference and what you are serving them with. For neutral dishes, stick to salt and pepper.
- TexMex style: Try adding some cumin, chili powder, chipotle and cayenne pepper for spicy, smoky kick!
- Smoky and spicy: Add some smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Italian blend: Try Italian seasoning, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano.
- Onion and garlic: Add garlic powder, onion powder, and a little bit of parsley.
- Sweet and spiced: Try adding some cinnamon or your favorite fall warming spices (like apple pie spice or pumpkin spice) a little brown sugar or brown sugar replacement, maple syrup (or replacement) and finish with butter.
These are simply suggestions, and truly you should experiment to find your favorite blend. Keep in mind you will need about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt for every 1 pound of sweet potatoes, and about 1.5 - 2 teaspoons of dried seasonings per pound of potatoes, going easy on the spicier seasonings!
More Recipes To Try:
- Keto 'Potato' Soup (Super Loaded!)
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes with Garlic, Parmesan and Herbs
- Creamy Mashed Turnips
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Jalapeño Poppers
Shop This Recipe:
Want to get supplies for this recipe or shop our keto kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites above and right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
If you get a chance to try this recipe, let us know what you think, would ya?! Leave us a comment, or catch up with us on Facebook or Instagram, or pin to your favorite Pinterest board for later. We love sharing your versions of our creations over on Instagram @afullliving!
If you could please leave a comment and/or a rating if you loved this recipe, we would be forever grateful! (Ratings helps users find our recipes, since users say that they like them!)
Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to subscribe to our email newsletter so you're the first to know about new recipes we post on our blog.
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1.5 pounds sweet potato cubes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1.5 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, add your sweet potato cubes. Coat with avocado oil, then add in seasonings and mix until potatoes are fully coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. In a single layer, add sweet potato cubes to the prepared air fryer trays or basket. Air fry for 13-17 minutes, switching the trays or tossing the sweet potatoes halfway through to make sure everything is cooking evenly.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, garnish with parsley and flakey sea salt if desired, and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
- How To Make These Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes in the Oven:
The oven temperature should be set to 425°F. Add parchment paper to the baking sheet for maximum crispiness and easy clean up. Bake for 45-50 minutes, tossing every 15-20 minutes, to ensure all sides get crispy. That’s it! Enjoy!
- Season to taste, our seasoning blend is pretty multiple purpose, but it does have a little kick. If you want a more neutral flavor profile, scale back on all of the seasonings except for salt and pepper. Keep in mind you will need about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt per every one pound of sweet potatoes, and roughly 1.5-2 teaspoons of seasoning for well seasoned potatoes.
- Depending on your air fryer, you may or may not need to grease your air fryer basket or trays, or line with parchment paper. Our trays are non-stick, so we often don't need to do anything extra.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.