Need a fun idea for the whole family for pizza night? This Crustless Pizza Bowl Recipe is the perfect meal if you're craving something on the lighter side. It's the ideal alternative to traditional pizza if you're on a keto diet, or just looking to cut out extra carbs. You definitely won't miss the crust, they're bursting with flavor!
Grab your favorite pizza toppings, and a handful of other pantry and kitchen staples, we're making something super delicious! Pizza lovers will love having their own bowl to dig into.
This easy meal has lots of fun ingredients and nostalgic flavors with minimal effort. If you're a big fan of Italian food, skip making your own pizza dough. This is a great way to enjoy the flavors of pizza!
Love this recipe? Be sure to check out our pepperoni pizza chicken skillet!
❤️Why you'll love this
- Easy to customize: You can make these many different ways, there's lots of room to play around with flavors. Everyone can top their own bowls to their liking, so everyone is happy.
- Made with kitchen staples: The ingredients used in this recipe are very standard. You probably have most of them on hand in your pantry, freezer, or fridge. Anything you don't have can be found at nearly any grocery store.
- Quick & easy: There's very little prep work needed to make this easy pizza bowl recipe.
- Individual portions: These are actually pretty perfect for meal prep, because they are pre-portioned, making it easier to not overdo it!
Here are the ingredients we used. Find the full quantities and nutritional information in the
Feel free to swap out ingredients you don't like and use your favorite toppings!
- Marinara or pizza sauce - You can also make your own pizza sauce with a little tomato sauce, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Cheese - We opted for both grated parmesan and shredded mozzarella.
- Pepperoni - We cut our pepperoni slices into small pieces since we use 8-inch ramekins and they are a little small.
- Italian sausage - Can be cooked beforehand. You can use sweet Italian sausage or spicy sausage.
- Seasonings- Salt, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Olive oil - To cook the sausage, mushrooms, and onions.
- Onions and mushrooms - You can use yellow or red onion, and mushrooms sliced thin.
- Fresh basil - Optional, but incredibly delicious!
- Other topping ideas- Black olives, or green peppers are great toppings as well.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add half of the olive oil and cook the Italian sausage meat until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet, then add in mushrooms, onion, a pinch of salt, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes over medium heat until softened. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Place the pizza bowls on a baking sheet. For even less mess, you can add some parchment paper to the baking sheet under the ramekins.
Start with a layer of marinara sauce, then add a sprinkle of fresh basil (if using).
Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese, pepperonis, and cooked Italian sausage.
Top with mushrooms and onions, then repeat the process once more, finishing off with a layer of mozzarella, pepperonis, and basil last.
*Don't worry if the ramekins are overflowing a little bit, the baking sheet will catch the drips.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Top with more red pepper flakes, fresh basil, and grated parmesan if desired. Enjoy!
✨Tips & tricks
- We used these 8-inch ramekins for this recipe, keep this in mind if you're looking to use larger or smaller ramekins.
- This recipe can be scaled to feed just one person or a large crowd.
- For an extra crispy cheesy top, broil on high for a few minutes.
- You can microwave these bowls vs. baking them in the oven. Just make sure you're using a microwave-safe container.
Craving something more specific for your bowl? Try out these ideas!
- Pepperoni or cheese - If you're not in the mood for extra toppings, go classic with plain cheese or pepperoni only!
- Margherita - Use fresh mozzarella, San Marzano tomato sauce, fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt! Top the pizza with basil before baking, and top with fresh basil again after.
- Supreme - Love a good supreme pizza? Add red onion, green bell peppers, red onion, black olives, mushrooms, mozzarella, pepperonis, and Italian sausage.
- Ham & pineapple - Some people love ham and pineapple, so if this is you, don't forget about this classic combo!
- Sweet & spicy - Add some Calabrian chilis and/or chili oil, spicy Italian sausage, red pepper flakes, and drizzle with hot honey for a sweet, savory, and spicy combo!
- Veggie - Skipping the meat? Feel free to load the bowls up with your favorite veggies!
- Meat lovers - Pile on the Italian sausage, pepperoni, and bacon for those who just can't get enough!
Shop this post
Want more supplies for this recipe or to shop our kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
Store in fridge in the ramekins, covered with plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or ramekin or cocotte covers for up to 5 days. Reheat in a microwave-safe container or an oven-safe container in the oven or air fryer.
🌟Leave a review!
Make sure to leave a 5-star review below! This helps other readers find our recipes via Google, and encourages them to try them. Also be sure to leave a comment with your experience!
Pizza Bowl Recipe
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- fresh basil (optional)
- 75 grams fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 ounces pepperoni, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-heat heat, add half of the olive oil, and sear the Italian sausage until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and place ramekins on a baking sheet. In the same skillet where you seared the sausage, add the remaining olive oil, followed by the mushrooms and onions. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and some of the red pepper flakes, and cook until mushrooms are softened and onion is translucent. Set aside.
- In the ramekins, start with a layer of marinara sauce, then add a sprinkle of fresh basil (if using). Layer with mozzarella cheese, parmesan, pepperonis, Italian sausage, mushrooms, and onions, then repeat the layers. The last two layers should be mozzarella cheese, pepperonis, and basil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden. Remove from the oven, and garnish with more red pepper flakes, parmesan, and fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in airtight containers, or the ramekins covered with plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or tops to the ramekins.
- You can easily alter the toppings on these pizza bowls. Please note that the nutrition facts are based on the ingredients listed.
- Reheat in a microwave safe container, in the oven, or in the air fryer.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.