Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Wrapped in Parma Ham
In the mood for a fresh and delicious dinner? This mozzarella stuffed chicken wrapped in parma ham (also known as prosciutto di parma) is so easy and super satisfying. It's an incredibly simple chicken breast recipe that can be on the table in 30 minutes, all in one skillet.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, butterflied (about 3-4 large chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 slices prosciutto di Parma ham (or enough to cover chicken breasts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- ½ ounce sweet Italian basil
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butterfly the chicken breasts. Season all sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
Stuff with mozzarella slices, and fresh basil, then drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Close chicken over the top of the fillings. Wrap completely with prosciutto slices. The prosciutto should stay in place but you can use toothpicks to secure it if desired. The toothpicks will also help cheese from oozing out while it cooks.
Add chicken breasts to an oiled cast iron or casserole dish, then drizzle the tops with remaining olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20- 30 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Serve with more basil, and a quick arugula side salad made with tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic, and a little salt and pepper.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. Reheat in the oven, microwave or on the stovetop.
- Make sure to remove the toothpicks from the chicken before eating, or else you'll be in for a potentially dangerous bite!
- The nutrition facts for this recipe do not include any additional garnishes.
- Securing the chicken breasts with toothpicks will help the cheese from oozing out a little bit, but it will still ooze out either way.
- We like to use a meat thermometer so we can be sure the inside of the chicken is fully cooked (at least 165°F) before removing from the oven. The different sizes of chicken breasts can affect the cook time.
- Any type of mozzarella cheese can be used for this recipe.
Sodium: 1320mg | Calcium: 312mg | Vitamin C: 3mg | Vitamin A: 651IU | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 942mg | Cholesterol: 202mg | Calories: 539kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Fat: 29g | Protein: 63g | Carbohydrates: 2g | Iron: 1mg