Instant Pot Apple Butter
Make the best condiment of fall in a fraction of the time of other methods. This warmly spiced apple butter is bursting with fall flavor and is easy to make.
Servings: 16 servings
- 6 medium honeycrisp apples, cored and chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 144 grams brown sugar replacement (¾ cup, could sub 1:1 for regular brown sugar)
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from 3 lemons)
- 2 ounces pure maple syrup
- 2 ounces water (½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Add apples, sweetener, maple syrup, lemon juice, water, salt, and spices to the instant pot along with any whole dried spices to the Instant Pot. Cover the mixture with the lid, set the pot to "seal" and allow it to come to high pressure. Pressure cook on high for 1 hour, then allow it to naturally release for 15 minutes.
Use a spoon to get any additional pressure out of the instant pot. Remove any whole spices and discard. Use an immersion blender or blender to puree the mixture, then set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting over medium.
Move mixture continuously to prevent sticking, burning, or popping. Be careful, the mixture will be hot. Cook until the mixture reduces to reach the desired consistency. This will take roughly 30-40 minutes, then stir in the vanilla extract.
Allow to cool before enjoying. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. The apple butter can be frozen for up to 1 year.
- Sweeten to taste. Any sweetener you prefer can be used here.
- Add spices according to your preference.
- Apple cider vinegar can be substituted for lemon juice.
- Be careful when reducing the apple puree, keep the mixture moving to avoid sticking, burning, and bubbles exploding, and spraying hot apple butter on you.
Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 0.2g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.03g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.04g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 74mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 39IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.1mg