Keto Mushroom Sauce
This creamy low carb mushroom sauce is luscious, yes simple to prepare. Smother it on top of a steak, some pork chops or chicken or pair it with eggs, potatoes, green beans or anything else you enjoy mushrooms with. You’re going to fall in love with this decadent keto mushroom gravy!
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced (about 100 grams)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms (we used a mixture of portobello and shiitake)
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces beef broth
- 4 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to melt. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Once onions are translucent, add thyme leaves and garlic, and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and melt, followed by the mushrooms. Season mushrooms with more salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
After mushrooms are softened, stir in beef broth, heavy cream, dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your personal preference. Simmer gently to allow the sauce to thicken slightly and the flavors to meld, about 3-5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy! We love to drizzle it all over a juicy steak, but this sauce is great with virtually any protein you can think of.
Keeps covered in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat gently and slowly, or the sauce will begin to separate or curdle.
- Garlic and onion can be substituted for garlic and onion powder if preferred.
- If dairy free, replace heavy cream and butter with vegan butter and full-fat coconut milk.
- If vegan, follow dairy free instructions and replace beef broth with a vegetable broth. Omit worcestershire sauce or replace with soy sauce or tamari.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 528mg | Potassium: 419mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 548IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg