Cauliflower and Pumpkin Soup
This Pumpkin Cauliflower Soup is a hearty, healthy cool weather recipe. It's easy to make with minimal prep time. This velvety smooth soup will be a staple for those chillier days. With plenty of herbs and spices, you will love this warming comfort food.
Servings: 10 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme and sage)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, grated (optional)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 30 ounces pumpkin puree (2 cans)
- 4 cups broth or stock of choice (chicken broth)
- 1 cup heavy cream
Heat a dutch oven or large pot, over medium heat. Add the butter, followed by the shallots with a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
Add in the aromatics, like the minced herbs, ginger, garlic, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until garlic and ginger are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the cauliflower, mixing to coat. Season heavily with salt and pepper.
Add in the pumpkin puree, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to heat to medium simmer, until the cauliflower has softened enough to stick a fork in it. This should take about 20 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream to warm.
Puree the soup contents by using a blender, food processor or immersion blender. Garnish with more herbs, freshly cracked black pepper, pepitas (aka, pumpkin seeds!), and a drizzle of cream. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To make this soup dairy free: swap out the butter and cream for your favorite dairy free substitutes.
- To make this soup vegan: Swap out dairy products and use vegetable broth or stock.
- To freeze, make sure to allow the soup to cool completely so it won't get freezer burnt. It will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer.
- Thaw frozen soup in the fridge, or under warm running water until you can slide the soup out into a saucepan. Simmer on low until soup is completely heated through.
- All seasonings are to your personal preference and taste, and can be altered or substituted for.
- Fresh garlic and ginger could use ground instead.
- Substitute onions for shallots.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 842mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 13729IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2mg