Giardiniera Chicken Skillet
This cheesy chicken giardiniera skillet is a seriously satisfying one pan meal, with plenty of fresh mozzarella cheese, veggies, spice and flavor! Kick that plain chicken dinner up a notch, and make this delicious home cooked meal in no time.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless skinless
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 12 ounces hot Chicago style giardiniera
- 1 ounce fresh basil
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- basil and parmesan cheese for garnish
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add half of the olive oil, and season the chicken breasts very well with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano and dried basil, reserving some for the vegetables.
Once skillet is hot, cook the chicken until brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side. Work in batches if needed to avoid over crowding the pan. Once all of the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, remove from the skillet and set aside.
Add remaining oil to the skillet, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.Immediately add onions, bell peppers and tomatoes with remaining seasonings and salt. Cook until everything softens, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in the giardiniera and fresh basil to heat through, reserving some to top the chicken later.
Heat the broiler of your oven on high. Add chicken back to the skillet with the vegetables. Sprinkle the chicken with parmesan cheese, and top with mozzarella slices. Broil for about 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Garnish with fresh basil, more parmesan, and the remaining giardiniera. Enjoy!
- Heat levels vary for different giardinieras so keep this in mind.
- Fresh tomatoes can be substituted for canned.
- Onion and garlic can be substituted for onion and garlic powder.
- Fresh mozzarella can be substituted for shredded or slices, and you can use any parmesan variety.
- Season to taste, and add any spices you see fit. We opted to leave out red pepper flakes and cayenne because we used hot giardiniera, but add them if you like.
Calories: 544kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 177mg | Sodium: 1657mg | Potassium: 631mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1490IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 298mg | Iron: 3mg