Keto Mac and Cheese - 7 Cheese Southern Baked Macaroni
This keto macaroni and cheese is based off of our family recipe, made keto friendly! This southern baked style macaroni and cheese recipe is made with a 7 cheese, slightly spicy cheese sauce and low carb elbow noodles for the a truly indulgent bite. It’s perfect for any occasion.
Servings: 8 servings
- 8 ounces cooked great low carb elbow noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces Colby jack, freshly shredded
- 4 ounces Pepper jack, freshly shredded
- 3 ounces Cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 3 ounces low moisture part skim mozzarella, freshly shredded
- 2 ounces Havarti, freshly shredded
- 2 ounces white cheddar, freshly shredded
- 2 ounces parmesan, freshly shredded
Prepare mac and cheese noodles of choice just a few minutes under what the package suggests. Make sure to boil the noodles in very salty water to help season the noodles. (We recommend about 2 tablespoons of salt to prepare 8 ounces of noodles). We also don’t want the noodles to get overcooked, so we want them al dente. After noodles are cooked, immediately drain and run under cold water to prevent it from cooking any further. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Heat a saucepan or skillet over medium heat, then add butter. Once butter is melted, stir in the dry seasonings, reserving the salt and pepper for later, we will add it to taste after stirring in some cheese. Cook the butter and seasoning mixture for about 1 minute, whisking continuously.
Add in the heavy whipping cream very slowly, while whisking continuously. Simmer for about 5 minutes, don’t allow to boil.
Stir in around 2/3 of the cheese, reserving some to top. Stir constantly until the cheese is melted and smooth, this will take around 5-10 minutes. Once smooth, stir in the cooked pasta to combine. Top with remaining cheese, and bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Broil for 2-3 minutes to get the top nice and crispy if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave, or in the oven.
- For the noodles: Cook the noodles in very salty water. Slightly undercook the noodles according to the package directions so that they don't become gummy. After cooking, drain hot water and rinse in cool water to stop the cooking process.
- For the cheese: It's really important to use only freshly shredded cheese. Pre-shredded will not work because it won't melt properly. You can use any mixture of cheeses you like here. Just make to use mostly mild cheeses, and then a few sharper cheeses to balance out the flavor.
- Seasoning: Season to taste! We make our own cajun seasoning blend that has some salt in it already, so be aware of this. Also, some of your cheeses will add salt (like parmesan) so don't salt too much until the sauce is nearly ready. You can add whatever amount of seasonings you like, and please keep in mind that we like this mac and cheese with a little kick.
- To make your own cajun seasoning blend: (This makes a large batch of 14.5 tablespoons, we will only use 1 teaspoon for the mac and cheese!)
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 760mg | Potassium: 109mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1332IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 558mg | Iron: 1mg