Lohikeitto (Finnish Salmon Soup)
This delightful Lohikeitto, a creamy Finnish Salmon Soup has a wonderful, authentic Nordic flavor! Made with just a handful of ingredients, it's hearty and comforting, plus it's ready in no time.
Servings: 6 people
- 1.5 pounds salmon, skin removed and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 4 cups water (can be substituted for seafood stock)
- salmon skins from salmon filets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into small rounds and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon allspice (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes, quartered
- 2 whole carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 cup fresh dill, loosely packed & divided (could substitute for dried if desired)
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
Skip this step if using seafood or fish stock. Add salmon skins and water to a saucepan. Boil for 10 minutes, then strain the broth. Discard skins and reserve the fish stock.
In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat, then add in leeks with a pinch of salt until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in allspice and some pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add in potatoes, carrots, a big pinch of salt, and about half of the dill. Pour in the broth or stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are softened.
Add in heavy whipping cream, and your salmon chunks and simmer for around 3-5 minutes until salmon is cooked through. Add in fresh dill, salt, and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, gently simmer on the stove or heat gently in the microwave.
- You can substitute half and half for heavy cream.
- You can use onions instead of leeks, but leeks are the traditional ingredient.
- Skip step one if using store-bought seafood stock.
- Do not boil the soup once the cream is added, or it will curdle.
Calories: 481kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 1253mg | Potassium: 1215mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2267IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 3mg