Sugar Free Applesauce
This unsweetened sugar free applesauce is an incredibly easy and healthy snack. You'll love this lightly spiced, no-peel recipe!
Servings: 16 servings
- 12 medium apples, cored and cut into chunks (choose your favorite, we used honeycrisp, gala and Jonagold)
- 12 ounces water
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon (optional and to taste, this amount creates a very lightly spiced applesauce)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon, and optional, to preserve freshness)
Add apple pieces to a stock pot or dutch oven with water, salt, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer immediately, cover with a lid and leave slightly ajar for steam to escape. Simmer for 30 minutes or until apple pieces are soft enough to mash with a wooden spoon.
Add fresh lemon juice, and mash apple pieces until the desired consistency is reached. You can use a potato masher, an immersion blender, or a regular blender to create your desired texture.
Adjust seasonings to taste, and enjoy warm or chilled.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container and enjoy within 10-12 days.
- Use your favorite variety of apples. We chose sweeter apples, like Honeycrisp, gala, and Jonagold. More tart varieties like granny smith may require a touch of sweetness, like maple syrup, brown sugar, or a sugar replacement to taste.
- No peeling is required for this recipe, but you can peel the apples if you like. Please note this will impact the micronutrient profile, as well as fiber content and flavor.
- If making this recipe for the first time, start with a lesser amount of cinnamon and add more to taste.
- Lemon juice is optional and can help preserve the freshness of this recipe.
- Please view the body of this post for more detailed instructions on substitutions and variations.
Calories: 71kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 0.4g | Fat: 0.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.04g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 39mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 74IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.2mg