Redskin Mashed Potatoes
This Mashed Potatoes Recipe is the perfect side dish with minimal effort. If you're looking to make the creamiest mashed potatoes, make one of our favorite side dishes! This simple side dish is probably the best way to impress potato lovers with only 7 pantry and kitchen staples!
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 pounds redskin potatoes, cleaned and quartered, skins on
- cold water to cover potatoes (about 4-5 cups)
- kosher salt for the water to boil potatoes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 3 ounces heavy cream, room temperature
- 8 ounces sour cream, room temperature
Add potatoes to a large pot. Pour in enough water to cover, along with salt. Bring the potatoes to a boil, and boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, and set aside.
If desired, you can heat up a little olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat and add the potatoes to it.Move continuously while heating the potatoes for 2-3 minutes. This ensures you have no excess water, and the potatoes are nice and hot for mashing, which will definitely produce the best results. Using a potato masher, hand mixer, or stand mixer, mash the potatoes until there are just a few lumps.Next, add in melted butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme & continue mixing or mashing to combine and desired texture is reached
Place potatoes into a large bowl, and drizzle on melted butter to serve. Garnish with fresh thyme, salt, and black pepper. Enjoy!
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- The nutrition facts do not include any extra melted butter used when serving.
- Using cold water in the pot of potatoes will ensure the best texture for the potatoes.
- Make sure to add melted butter, and room temperature (or hot) cream and sour cream to the potatoes mixture to ensure the potatoes don't get gummy.
- See the post for the full list of substitutions and additional flavors to add.
- Fresh thyme is optional. Feel free to replace it with any herb of choice, or leave it out entirely.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 932mg | Potassium: 836mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 917IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg