Sugar Free Apple Crisp (Gluten Free, Low Carb)
This healthy apple crisp recipe is refined sugar free, low in carbs – the ultimate fall dessert. Skip peeling the apples, this recipe is super pretty, tasty and no frills.
Servings: 12 servings
For the apple filling:
- 2 pounds apples of choice, cored and cut into bite sized pieces (we used Sweetango apples, which are similar to honeycrisp)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (30 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup granular erythritol (48 grams)
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch (increase to 1 tablespoon for a thicker filling)
For the crisp topping:
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats 48 grams
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes 40 grams
- ⅔ cup almond flour 75 grams
- ⅔ cup pecan pieces 80 grams
- ¼ cup granular erythritol 48 grams
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add apples to a medium size bowl, combining with some sweetener, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, cornstarch and kosher salt. Toss to fully combine, then add to a greased casserole dish or cast iron skillet to bake for 30 minutes to soften.
While the apples are baking, combine almond flour, rolled oats, pecans, coconut flakes, sweetener, cinnamon, kosher salt, and xanthan gum to make the apple crisp topping. Add melted butter and stir to combine to make sure everything is incorporated.
After the apples have been baking for about 30 minutes, give them a small toss to distribute the sweetener and any liquid that has pooled at the bottom. Add the crumble topping over top of the apples. Return to the oven to bake for another 30 minutes at 350°F.
Bake, then serve with your favorite ice cream. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving, as it will be really hot. Save in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- For an even thicker apple filling, add an extra ½ tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Be mindful of the type of apple you are using for the filling, as sweeter apple varieties won’t require as much added sweetener!
- For dairy free or vegan, use coconut oil in place of butter.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 279IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg