The Top 5 Things I Ate at the Chicago Hot Dog Festival
Hot dogs. A staple summer food, especially in the city of Chicago. I ate so many delicious things at the Chicago Hot Dog Festival, and I decided to pick my top 5. The 2016 Chicago Hot Dog Festival was a truly fun for the whole family event, thanks to the Chicago History Museum that puts the event on every year! Complete with tons of fun activities like the bean bag toss, huge inflatable bounce houses, face painting, live music and of course tons of Chicago’s best hot dogs from some of Chicago’s favorite hot dog vendors! All of the dogs are Vienna Beef, and the S.Rosen’s Baking Company supplies the buns for the whole event, so you know it has to be good! Did I mention it’s a free event that spans the entire weekend of August 5-7th at Stockton and LaSalle?
I have to say – aside from the fact that this event is just plain awesome – I was incredibly excited to attend, particularly because I got invited to my first Chicago Food event as a Food Blogger guest! This was huge for me, to realize that my passion – food – is becoming some more than just an incredibly delicious hobby. The Chicago History Museum reached out to thank me for being a part of the Chicago Food Scene, and gifted me with a one of a kind experience of eating tons of hot dogs of my choice. Never in my life have I been more excited to devour numerous Vienna Beef dogs slathered in various toppings.
Without further adieu, here is a little bit about the top 5 things I ate at the 2016 Chicago Hot Dog Festival.
First, we stopped by what happened to be my #1 pick for hot dogs that day, that was Lincoln Square’s own Chubby Wieners. Amazing. Dogs. I wanted to try every dog on the menu, but Chamere and I wanted to stretch the amount of dogs we could try by ordering two half-sized dogs and sharing them.
We finally decided on the Momona, and the Chubby Porker. We made the right decision, but I’m going to have to go check out their store front off the Western Brown line to try a few more of these famous dogs.
- The Chubby Porker by Chubby Wieners was my personal favorite. This deep fried Vienna Beef dog was wrapped in applewood smoked bacon, topped with pulled pork, a house made barbecue sauce, and a fresh lime and cilantro cabbage slaw. (Pictured below on the right).
- The Momona by Chubby Wieners – Chamere ordered the Momona, which was another excellent choice. This dog also had applewood smoked bacon, and was topped with grilled pineapple, bleu cheese and a citrus-chipotle barbecue sauce. AMAZING!
- The Raclette Dog by the Swiss Dog– my 3rd favorite pick had to be the Raclette Dog made by a Wisconsin based Company, the Swiss Dog. This dog is a MUST TRY! The Raclette dog features melted Alpine cheese scraped off the wheel directly onto your dog, complete with spring onions, a little dijon mustard and baby gherkins. Swooon!
- Boricua Style Hot Dog by Cela’s Boricua Style Hot Dog – Cela’s tent served up some tasty Puerto Rican style dogs! We tried the Boricua Style Hot Dog which consisted of Puerto Rican style chili, cooked onions, sauerkraut, mustard, ketchup and potato chip sticks. We loved it!
- Paleta by La Michoacana Premium – Mexican style popsicles were the perfect thing to cool us off in the summer heat. La Michoacana Premium truck was stocked full of fresh fruit Paleta and for only $2, these things sure hit the spot! I tried the watermelon flavor. So yummy!
Overall, the experience we had at the 2016 Chicago Hot Dog Festival was an awesome one, and I can’t wait for next year! I hope my top 5 guide will help you out next year.
Until next time,