Last updated on August 23rd, 2018
Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
As you may have noticed, breakfast skillets are basically my life. I’ve been really into eggs lately too. As well as sweet potatoes. So why not try a spicy sweet potato breakfast skillet complete with eggs, black beans, tomatillos, avocados and queso cheese?!
Chamere and I made this a few weeks ago, but I haven’t gotten around to posting this recipe yet..
Guess who’s back!?
…. Like I never left. Ha. Just kidding.. definitely felt like a while. We are all moved into our new apartment!! Finally! It’s time we start enjoying the place. 😛
Cooking is certainly underway. Yesterday we had a couple of my girl friends over to make some awesome acai smoothie bowls with some Ama Fruits products.. they turned out awesome! Ranna left me with a bunch of samples of acai, acerola, graviola and cupuacu frozen fruit puree. Chamere and I made a few bowls this morning. There will be lots of smoothie bowl variations and recipes to come!
But for now can we please take a moment to enjoy this incredible spicy sweet potato breakfast skillet delcious-ness, shall we?
Here’s What I Used:
1 medium onion
2-3 garlic cloves
2 large sweet potatoes
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 can of black beans
5-6 large eggs
Queso cheese to taste
Other good add-ins: jalapenos, cilantro, salsa ! 😛
Here’s How I Made it:
- I always try to start with prepping all of my ingredients. It seriously helps so much when putting a dish together. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes, mince the garlic, dice the onion and tomatillos. Rinse and drain the black beans, and get the spices together.
- Start by sweating the onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant or about 30 seconds. Next add in the spices and stir for about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatillos and sweet potatoes and let simmer on medium heat (and covered) for 25-30 minutes.
- While you are simmering the potato mixture, you can prep your garnish ingredients as well. I used this time to cut up my lime, avocado and queso cheese.
- After the 25 minutes, you can add in the black beans and cover again for another 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the eggs and cover again for about 10 minutes depending on how you prefer your eggs. I like mine over medium, so I would say this takes about 8 minutes.
- When the eggs are cooked to your liking, squeeze with lime juice, garnish with avocado and cheese and dig in!! If you prefer your cheese melted a bit more, you can add it into the pan before your eggs are completely finished cooking.
- Let me know how you enjoy this and how you like to make breakfast skillets at home. 🙂
I hope this spicy sweet potato breakfast skillet brightens up your breakfast as much as it did mine..
Until next time,