Last updated on August 23rd, 2018
Sweet Potato Soup
My sweet potato soup has been a favorite this winter when my immune system (or my spirits, feelings of nostalgia, or my boyfriend’s excitement levels-he loves the stuff) need adjusting.
It’s really pretty simple, and so tasty. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! My guy helped me last time I made the soup by taking and making some great edits of the process. His payment? Endless amounts of soup.
Here’s what I used:
3 lbs. sweet potatoes
1 yellow onion
2 medium carrots, or about 10 baby carrots
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
5 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
1 can coconut milk
Cilantro to garnish
Here’s how I made it:
- Start by dicing the sweet potatoes, onion, carrots and garlic really fine. Set aside.
- Grate the ginger, and season everything with the salt & pepper and the cayenne pepper, mix together.
- I used a cast iron pot to make the soup this time, but I have used my slow cooker before it just depends on if you have time to hang around the house. If using the slow cooker, add all ingredients except for the coconut milk (this is added in the last 30 minutes of cooking) into the slow cooker and cook on low for about 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- If using a cast iron pot, place the seasoned ingredients in the pot, and add in the chicken or vegetable stock. I use chicken stock, but if you want to make this recipe vegetarian friendly, you can use vegetable!
- Bring everything to a boil and close the lid, lower the heat to medium and allow the mixture to cook covered for about 30 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk after 30 minutes.
- Return to a boil and let cook for an additional 30-45 minutes at medium heat.
- After the additional time cooking, add all ingredients to a blender to puree.
- After blending, add the puree mix back to the pot and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls, top with cilantro for garnish and enjoy!
And that’s how it’s done folks. Just kidding, this is my way of making sweet potato soup. I’m interested to know how you guys make yours? Please let me know if you get the chance to try this recipe and leave a comment below!
Until next time,