This Keto Beef Stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food that will bring you fond memories of childhood. Ground beef and mushrooms in a creamy sauce with thyme, smoked paprika, garlic and shallots, served over whatever low carb noodle or rice replacement you prefer. This keto friendly and gluten free version of mom's ground beef stroganoff comes together fast and easy, but is always a family favorite.
- Unsalted butter
- Ground beef, 85% lean
- Shallot or onion
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder (could sub with 3-4 cloves fresh garlic)
- Fresh thyme, or dried thyme
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brandy (optional, for depth of flavor)
- Sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Let's Make This Low Carb Beef Stroganoff!
Start by prepping your ingredients. Dice your shallot/onion, measure and set aside your seasonings, and slice your mushrooms into thin strips, then set aside.
Preheat your skillet, add in 1 tablespoon of the butter and brown your beef. Season liberally with salt and pepper. When the beef is browned, remove from the skillet and set aside.
In the same skillet, add in the rest of the butter and melt, then add in your shallots and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
Next, add in your dried seasonings and fresh thyme (if you have fresh). Stir and toast for about 1 minute.
Add in your mushrooms, and cook for a few minutes until softened. Then, add in ½ of your water, then your Worcestershire sauce and brandy. Bring mixture to a boil and let it boil for about 2 minutes, to cook off the alcohol.
Next, add back in your ground beef, and the rest of the water. Basically just let this simmer on the stove for 15-20 minutes. You can simmer longer if you want, so the flavors have more time to develop and the meat gets nice and tender. Just serve this Keto Beef Stroganoff and enjoy!
This Keto Beef Stroganoff Recipe was inspired by my mother's beef stroganoff recipe growing up! I think all of our mother's had them, right?! Feel free to adjust seasonings as you see fit. We'd also be super interested to hear about any other ingredients you know are in your family recipe!
Seasoning: When you aren't making another trip to the grocery store, just use dried spices and herbs, they will work just fine!
Brandy: An optional ingredient that will give your stroganoff a great depth of flavor. Not necessary tho.
Serve With: If you’re on a keto diet like we follow most of the time, we think cauliflower rice makes a great base, as opposed to rice. We also used to eat this dish with egg noodles, but we haven't found or made a good low carb replacement for those yet!
Show Us Yours!: We also love when you guys try our recipes and share them with us! If you make this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram @afullliving so we can see it and share it!
Shop This Recipe!
More Recipes To Try:
If you get a chance to try this Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe, let us know what you think, would ya?! Leave us a comment, or catch up with us on Facebook or Instagram, or pin to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
If you love this recipe, please consider sharing it with a friend and also leaving a rating and comment so others can find this recipe. Thank you for your support!
Until Next Time,
Briana & Chamere
Keto Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1.5 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ whole shallot, minced (or small onion)
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 oz brandy
- ½ cup sour cream, full fat
- Preheat your skillet, add in 1 tablespoon of the butter and brown your beef with a liberal amount of salt and pepper. When the beef is browned, remove from the skillet and set aside. In the same skillet, add in the rest of the butter and melt. Add in your shallot and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Next, add in your dried seasonings and fresh thyme (if you have fresh). Stir and toast for about 1 minute. Add in your mushrooms, and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add in ½ of your water, then your Worcestershire sauce and brandy. Bring mixture to a boil and let it boil for about 2 minutes to cook off the alcohol. Next, add back in your ground beef, and the rest of the water.
- Now, mix in the sour cream. Let the stroganoff simmer on the stove for 10- 15 minutes, until all of the excess water is gone. You could let this simmer for a long time to deepen the flavor. Serve with cauliflower rice or low carb noodle of choice. Garnish with thyme and serve this Keto Beef Stroganoff.
These nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy and are only estimates. We cannot guarantee the accuracy.